Spec me an access point

Soldato
Hi All,

I'm after an access point, does anyone have a recommendation which fits the following criteria:
PoE
Ceiling Mountable
Not obnoxious looking

I have gone through the Ubiquiti thread and the nanoHD is a fairly obvious choice, is there any others worth looking at?

Soldato
It all depends on your criteria, can you find cheaper AP’s that are OK? Absolutely. Can you find products that may suit your needs better? Possibly. Unfortunately based on what you’ve said, it’s not the easiest question to answer.

Soldato
OP
@Avalon - What do you need to know?

It's for home use so realistically its going to have at most 10-15 devices hanging off it at once. Decent range and speed are my main asks. Ideally I want to only deploy one, it will be mounted in the landing ceiling. It cant be ugly or my wife will veto it and I will be stuck with rubbish WiFi signal.

Wave 2 AC is preferable but only a few things I own can actually take advantage of it at the moment.

@Caged - thanks I will have a look at that one.

Soldato
I bought a unifi uac ac lite on friday. Set up in a few mins. Was £80.

works great.

I've only got 1 at the moment for top floor of a 3 floor house. router is on bottom floor. Gave everything the same network names and password and they seem to be working together. I am going to buy a 2nd one and use them as a mesh though and disable the wifi from my router as my son though it would be fun to pull the antenna off so wifi coverage is not the best from it

Soldato
OP
I ran a wire through the external wall where the internet comes in and up behind a drain pipe to the roof through the soffit. This plugs into a cheap switch and I use a POE injector to power the AP (came with the AP).

Fortunately there was already a hole there from a previous Sky installation so I didn’t need to drill one but it’s fairly simple if you do. That reminds me I need to add some silicone to this!

While I was in the attic I took the opportunity to drop 2 wires down a stud wall so I would hard wire my PC. I had a socket in the attic already to power the switch, if you don’t you’d either need to add this or run the external wire directly to the AP and attach the POE injector to that.

Back
Top Bottom