Spec me an APC...

Soldato
BTW, that doesnt mean its been looked after, that just means it's already suffered from the terrible Peugeot/Citroen/Fiat DPF problems :)

It's a similar engine in my minibuse's with the same DPF system, I've gone through 6 DPF filters so far (£600 each) every 140k miles.

Soldato
OP
What's the nav like? Full 7-digit postcode?

Only had a quick fiddle with it and it appears to use full street name entries, should be fun.

It's currently sat on our neighbours drive while I get the tax sorted so I've not played with it too much.

And the wife has managed to crunch the damn thing without even getting in it!

The driveways here are quite narrow, you need to park tight against one side so you can squeeze out the other. Wifey takes the remote to show my mother the new car and she pushes the rear door opener (they're powered doors on the C8), only she pushes the button for the side that is up against the wall! Lovely 12" scar along one of the bump strips (magnolia masonary paint on metalic blue...) and mushed the plastic on the corner of the door handle.

I'm sure I won't keep bringing it up though....

Soldato
lots of toys... but do they all work still!

Bluetooth is an easy fix, my brother in law got a kit for his Mk4 Golf for £30 all in. eBay 'unwanted gift' that still had the cellophane on it.

Soldato
OP
Yup, everything works, only thing I haven't tested is the cabin aux heater, nice webasto unit under the car for the really cold mornings.

Going to have to sort a parrot or similar for the handfree, the factory headunit has a simcard slot and I'm stuffed if I'm taking my phone apart every time I get in the car.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
the factory headunit has a simcard slot and I'm stuffed if I'm taking my phone apart every time I get in the car.

I never understood why cars went through this phase a few years back, i had one which had this too. Utterly pointless :/

Soldato
I never understood why cars went through this phase a few years back, i had one which had this too. Utterly pointless :/

Surely you can use it with something like Ovivo? £10 for a sim plus some 'credit' for if you go over the allowance, and it's a £0/month deal with something like 150 mins & however many texts (plus 500MB internet). You're then set with no monthly outlay.

Caporegime

Still get them now. It's an optional extra on the Audi range to enable Google Maps integration. Needs a data SIM for internet access, obviously.

Of course, if you know what you are doing with electronic systems, you can always bypass the need for the SIM slot ;)

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Surely you can use it with something like Ovivo? £10 for a sim plus some 'credit' for if you go over the allowance, and it's a £0/month deal with something like 150 mins & however many texts (plus 500MB internet). You're then set with no monthly outlay.

A separate sim with a separate plan and number is hardly a solution :p

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Still get them now. It's an optional extra on the Audi range to enable Google Maps integration. Needs a data SIM for internet access, obviously.

Of course, if you know what you are doing with electronic systems, you can always bypass the need for the SIM slot ;)

That modern data sim requirement is a bit different to older cars such as this citroen though, which have a sim slot meant purely for using as a car phone. Who ever wanted to have a separate calling plan and number for their car :p

Soldato
OP
Right, we've put a couple of thousand miles on it so i thought i'd bump this with my views of the wagon.

Comfort, nice. Seats are softer than the zafira, nice for a long run but could do with something a bit firmer around town.

Visibility, average (typical van coverage really, can't see what is behind you, that's where the sensors come in.)

Seating flexibility is brilliant, we've taken one of the middle row seats out and juggled things around so there is a space on the passenger side that lets people using the back seats climb in and out using the sliding door rather than having to fold the middle row seats (which would be a pain as we've got two isofix child seats fitted.

Toys, the nav is "so so", uses full street names, but it can give a a list of choices if you just give it the first few letters. Has the usual range, eta, toll functions but also pulls the traffic announcements from the radio TA system and reads them out for you (gives the option to replot the route with diversions too)
Multichanger is the usual, only the HU cd slot supports MP3 playback, so i'm looking at swapping out the multichanger for something MP3 (usb, sd, hardrive, etc) Although that might change when i get the bluetooth sorted as then the phones can carry the music.

The aux water heater makes the can warm up very quickly indeed, our previous car could cover 2-3 miles before there was any detectable heat coming through the vents whereas now things are warming up in under a mile.

Fuel economy. Oh dear. This is where it all falls apart. The engine just isn't big enough for this car and needs to work it's ass off to get things rolling. A 2.0 diesel in a 1.7 ton automatic doesn't do it. The old dti in a zafira was pushing a 1.3 ton car and it went like a scalded cat is asked to do so (but automatic diesel people carrier standards obviously) but the C8 really does struggle to get things moving.
The fuel computer shows a healthy 9.4mpg as you pull away from the kerb or the traffic lights. Jumping up to between 18-25mpg once the mass of the car is rolling (unless you touch the throttle, then is back to 9-10mpg until you behave)
On a long run, amazing. Properly impressed. Went to Cardiff and back (around 300 miles) using the cruise and the estimated tank range was higher when we arrived than when we left Plymouth! Did the whole journey on just over a third of a tank. Fuel computer showed a happy 60+mpg all the way apart from a few of the bg hills where it needed a hammering.
Thinking a 2.5 or 3.0 lump would have been a better spec for a car of this size/weight.
At least now i know why most zafiras are driven like they are stolen and the C8 can be seen coasting everywhere with the driver crying at the sight of filling stations.

Missing the zafira tbh, wish they made a LWB version.

Back
Top Bottom