Spec me an automatic

Soldato
Evening all,

Grandmother has asked for some advice in replacing her current manual Jaguar. She has suggested she would like to switch to an automatic, something reasonably compact, not underpowered and well specced if possible. She uses it for the odd long (100-mile journey) as well as the usual short trips around town.

Her budget is around £2000-£3000. Are there any good options around this price point? Thanks very much in advance for advice, my car knowledge has declined significantly since giving mine up to move to London :(

Soldato
Any auto around that budget is likely to be fairly risky.

I've owned DSG based cars that have done the equivalent of 7 times round the equator with nothing other than fluid changes, most of them managed at least 3 times round before being written off/sold, not a single one had a gearbox issue other than the auto hill start was a little temperamental on the 176k ex taxi.

Merc/Toyota or anything VAG based with DSG, not a massive fan of the CVT Audi stuff, but if the gearbox ECU has been replaced, then it's generally reliable. I've not had the (dis)pleasure of a Vauxhall auto in 10 years, but they weren't awful for pootling, just not that fuel efficient and they certainly weren't fun (4 gears?). Ford is unknown to me in this area. Either way, sounds like a good excuse for a few test drives.

Back
Top Bottom