1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spec me an ID Card please

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SexyGreyFox, Jun 6, 2019.

1. WantoN

Sgarrista

Well this has been very entertaining; stroppiness, determination, threats of abandonment only to return angrier than ever. And at the end of it all, reason, the right choice, and resolution. Beautiful stuff.

This is what GD was built for.

2. The_Abyss

Capodecina

I'm glad.

It was the first reply to this thread. A week ago.

3. Delvis

Caporegime

The magic card

4. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

I still don't like it but I'm willing to bend over.
    The thing is since 1975 I've never been asked for my driving license and now I've got to carry it around with me everywhere.

5. Delvis

Caporegime

Welcome to the new world

6. Jean-F

Wise Guy

I don’t think that you HAVE to carry it at all times, I do, but I’ve never been asked for it in U.K. since I got the photo one.
    My wife was stopped for speeding in Arkansas once, but she’d left her licence in our rented apartment in Memphis TN
    She had her passport with her, and I showed the cop my driving licence so he could see that we had a shared surname.
    He said, “Are you named on the car rental agreement?”, when I said “yes”, he said, “Do me and Arkansas a favour bud, you take over, your wife’s a nice lady, but she’s in too much of a hurry.”
    And that was it, apart from the obligatory, “You folks have a nice day now, ya hear?”
    I’ve had the occasional tug by traffic cops in U.K. when I was younger, but you were allowed X days to produce it.

7. bremen1874

Capodecina

You have to carry it around if you intend to use it for ID for collecting parcels (which is where this thread started).

You don't need to carry it for any other reason.

I don't carry mine anymore because losing a wallet full of bank cards AND photo ID would potentially be a bad thing to happen.

8. englishpremier

Soldato

Whatever happened to ID cards that labour were bringing in. Pretty much every country in Europe has them, but the UK.

Driving licence is not an official form of ID, or at least it didn't used to be, so that only leaves a passport.

9. bremen1874

Capodecina

The entire effort failed (expensively).

Not having to carry, or generally need, official ID (apart from when we've been at war) is one of the better things about the UK.

10. AndyCr15

Sgarrista

Do you mean when they were just on paper?

11. The_Abyss

Capodecina

Why is this such a hardship though? No different to carrying a credit or debit card.

12. Nasher

Capodecina

Make an ID card yourself. No one even looks that closely at them.

As long as it has real details who is going to question it? There is no widely used official ID card in the UK.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  13. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

I never ever carry a debit or credit card.
    I obviously may make a trip to a music shop and take it then but that's it.

14. AndyCr15

Sgarrista

I would think many will question it tbh.

15. Delvis

Caporegime

It's okay, that can go with your phone too :p

16. Nasher

Capodecina

But how do they know what to look for? There's a few around and there is no standard design.

17. AndyCr15

Sgarrista

One thing is the PASS logo. If it isn't a Passport or a Driving License and it doesn't have a PASS hologram on it, there's a very good chance it gets rejected. As people have said, a lot of people checking will be very picky. Why wouldn't they be, in some circumstances it's not worth the risk not to be.

It's more of a 'you need to prove to me who you are' rather than 'you need to prove this ID isn't real'.

18. Diddums

Capodecina

And what a ride it’s been! Never change buddy, it’s been spectacular:D

19. Jean-F

Wise Guy

I fail to see the angst here about I.D. cards, what’s the big deal? It wouldn’t bother me.
    All my French relatives have them, always have, my elder son who lives in Germany has one, as does every German.
    My younger son had a Venezuelan girlfriend in his twenties, and they were mulling over moving to Madrid, and getting married, he was informed by the Spanish Consulate, that they’d both need I.D. cards to live permanently in Spain, he just shrugged.

Good luck with that if asked for I.D. at an airport.

20. bremen1874

Capodecina

That's a bit of a leap for a thread that's primarily about needing reliable ID for collecting parcels when you don't have them delivered to home.