Spec Me An Office Chair

Associate
Hi all,

There have been a few posts before I know, but they tended to discuss chairs that were a bit out of my price range.

I will spend up to £200, I will use the chair a fair amount so comfort is important but so is looks :) - at the moment my choice is the GT Omega Pro but is there anything else I should consider?

Thanks

Soldato
Never understand why people want 'Racing chairs' to sit on.

Second hand Herman miller off Gumtree.

IKEA Markus for £150 all day long if you don't want a racing chair. You can even pick it up for a third of the price from a well known auction house if you want to save yourself a few quid.

While I don't see any value in a £900 noblechair, most of the average priced gaming/e-Sport/racing chairs are much better value. I've had an IKEA Markus for years and it's great, but after sitting in a mates DXRacer it was miles better; more comfy, easier to adjust and in general I just didn't feel as lethargic after sitting in it for hours.

Associate
OP
Thanks all for the replies. Ikea Markus looks best bet so far. For some reason, a second hand chair just does feel right!

Associate
Also picked up a chair from 2ndhand.com in January as I had to retire my old Ikea after 10+ years of use - a humanscale freedom for £300 which was essentially as new (I assume refurbished) and I'm very happy with it.

As above posters already mentioned - consider a proper office chair over a gaming one.

I use a Herman Miller Aeron at work so fancied something different at home - but Steelcase, Herman Miller and Humanscale all very reputable and can be had for a good price second hand.
The Ikea is a very good choice if you want to go new though.

Caporegime
Think it was £150 I paid for my Steelcase Leap v2 off eBay 3 years ago, no faults with it on arrival or since, the back pain I had at the time went away within a few weeks which almost certainly was accredited to the staples chair I'd been using before that.

Soldato
2ndhnd.com is amazing, so many great deals available - used them to kit out a few offices plus got a leap v2 from them a few years back as well, all have been faultless

Soldato
As above but if you want new, Ikea Markus all day long.

IKEA Markus for £150 all day long if you don't want a racing chair. You can even pick it up for a third of the price from a well known auction house if you want to save yourself a few quid.

Thanks all for the replies. Ikea Markus looks best bet so far. For some reason, a second hand chair just does feel right!

I concur.
What does @Housey think?

:p

Last edited:
Associate
Another vote for 2ndhnd here :)
I've bought a total of 4 chairs from them.
A Steelcase Leap v2 and a Please v2 for home use and a Leap v2 and a Humanscale freedom in the office.
All the chairs looked practically brand new and are much better than the cheaper office chairs I've had in the past.
More supportive of my lower back and just more comfortable to sit in all day

Associate
I have the Markus and find it reasonably comfortable, bought in 2015 but find the seat padding to have squashed and flatened. Considering replacing it with a herman miller soon, either a mirra or aeron refurbished chair

Soldato
I have the Markus and find it reasonably comfortable, bought in 2015 but find the seat padding to have squashed and flatened. Considering replacing it with a herman miller soon, either a mirra or aeron refurbished chair

I was in the same boat as you, then I realised I should just buy another Markus. Glad I did.

Soldato
If you guys like the Markus, you should also check out the new Järvfjället from IKEA.

It is essentially taking what's good about the Markus and improve upon it with the adjustable position for headrest and the lumber support. However the optional £30 armrest does leave a bit to desire, as they are a bit too lower to rest your arms on at the up-right position, and you can pretty only rest your arm on them when you are at the laid-back position. It's not listed on the IKEA website yet and don't think any picture can be found on google neither.

Järvfjället Fabric: £160
Järvfjället Glose Black £180
Optional pair of armrests: £30

Back
Top Bottom