Spec me: bike for someone with a sore bottom

Soldato
To cut a long story short, I've had various operations on my bum over the years, so it can be a little tender.

I've been thinking about cycling to work because I need a change and would like to exercise. It's about 3 miles, so maybe 20 minutes. Hopefully it won't be too sweaty as we don't have any showers...

I was hoping that you guys could recommend me an incredibly comfortable bike. I'm not looking to use it for anything other than cycling on the roads to work, maybe going through a park briefly. I think I'm going to need a sofa seat...

I haven't owned a bike for about 10 years, and I'd had that for at least 10 years when I got rid of it, so I have no idea how much a bike costs at all. I was hoping for something under £250 as I don't think my specs are demanding.

Reading a bit about cycling to work, it seems that it might be better for me not to wear a backpack as I'll sweat more and a chain guard may help...don't know how true these things are.

Edit: I could probably use the cycle to work scheme. Although they don't advertise it at work, they come up on the website. I don't know if that's a good sign or not?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:
Associate
As you need to make sure it's comfy you might be best to pop down to your local cycle shop and try a few out. I don't think 250 will get you much though, even 2nd hand and even then, you won't get the chance to try it out first.

Soldato
OP
As you need to make sure it's comfy you might be best to pop down to your local cycle shop and try a few out. I don't think 250 will get you much though, even 2nd hand and even then, you won't get the chance to try it out first.

I thought as much. Having looked at the cycle to work scheme, I could probably push the budget to £500. Particularly if that allows me to get an average bike with an extra comfy saddle.

Back
Top Bottom