Spec me, bridleway/road commuter

Soldato
Lockdowns got me out on my old MTB bike and whilst I've loved every trip on it. I want something better, more comfortable and more suited to my trip. I intend to use it for commuting when Im back in the office but outside of the it will be cycling along bridleways/canal paths. I guess I would be looking at either a hybrid or gravel bike? But I am clueless when it comes to whats best to get so I am looking to you guys.

Only thing I need to carry would be a change of clothes to use the showers at work on those sweaty rides.

So great people of pedal power what would you recommend? Also be using my cycle to work scheme if it makes any difference.

Associate
if you've already got a MTB and want something for commuting (with easy off-road) then a drop-handlebar gravel (or even cyclocross) bike is ideal. Can then keep/do-up the MTB for pure off-road use. Ppersonally, I can't see the point of a flat handlebar hybrid when you've already got a MTB (presumably hardtail) - too similar, so a heavy-duty road bike like a drop-handle gravel or cyclocross is a great 2nd bike to accompany it.

As for any recommendation, we can't without knowing the price range or partner companies of your work's cycle to work scheme.

Soldato
OP
if you've already got a MTB and want something for commuting (with easy off-road) then a drop-handlebar gravel (or even cyclocross) bike is ideal. Can then keep/do-up the MTB for pure off-road use. Ppersonally, I can't see the point of a flat handlebar hybrid when you've already got a MTB (presumably hardtail) - too similar, so a heavy-duty road bike like a drop-handle gravel or cyclocross is a great 2nd bike to accompany it.

As for any recommendation, we can't without knowing the price range or partner companies of your work's cycle to work scheme.

The MTB is a cheapo one from halfords back in the day not even sure what it is. I don't have the space for 2 bikes but no need for aggressive off roading anyway.

Price range I dont really know tbh, say 750ish, just whatever gets me something good, strong and well suited for what I need. I know a colleague got his from Evans but the actual scheme I'll have to double check tomorrow.

Associate
I recently bought a boardman mtx 8.8 which is under your budget. I've used it mostly on the canal paths and i have been greatful for the front suspension. I am extremely happy with it, but i dont have much experience outside of my own purchasing decision.

Last edited:
Associate
how long is the commute and how fit are you?

If you've not been on a bike in a while and not massively active then the more upright seated position of a mtb/hybrid is probably nicer. But, over about 4-5 miles of cycling then the extra pace of a drop-handle gravelbike will soon lean towards that (especially if you're not used to it).

(no, I'm not saying a mtb can't do any distance - just thinking about the extra efficiency of a gravel bike and what I'd be choosing to use on a wet commute when I'd want to get it done asap. I'd guess a ~15mph average on a MTB is likely to be over 20mph on the gravel)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
how long is the commute and how fit are you?

If you've not been on a bike in a while and not massively active then the more upright seated position of a mtb/hybrid is probably nicer. But, over about 4-5 miles of cycling then the extra pace of a drop-handle gravelbike will soon lean towards that (especially if you're not used to it).

(no, I'm not saying a mtb can't do any distance - just thinking about the extra efficiency of a gravel bike and what I'd be choosing to use on a wet commute when I'd want to get it done asap. I'd guess a ~15mph average on a MTB is likely to be over 20mph on the gravel)

comute is 4.1 miles, 75% of that is bridleways.

My fitness could be better but I can stay out on the MTB at a casual/moderate pace for 45 - 60 mins so commute should be fine if it is a bit slower to start off. Ill use the rest of lockdown to practice the commute top work with the few inclines 20 minutes seems like a good target time to stretch for.

Soldato
Calibre are launching an updated "gravel bike" in a few weeks time that might be worth a look.

The Calibre Dark Peak, Shimano Claris 2x8, 700/37c tyres so ideal bike for commuting on rough terrain, but still svelt enough for road use.

Price expected to be £499

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Calibre are launching an updated "gravel bike" in a few weeks time that might be worth a look.

The Calibre Dark Peak, Shimano Claris 2x8, 700/37c tyres so ideal bike for commuting on rough terrain, but still svelt enough for road use.

Price expected to be £499

Appreciate that, my works scheme is 1k so really anything up to that as the extra cost would make that much of a difference tbh. Also if it makes it easier my company uses cyclescheme

These are the main 4 I've spent most of my day looking at trying to gauge, its kind of hard not being about to go to a bike shop as ordinary to test/get a proper feel for them.

https://whyte.bike/products/portobello?variant=17925211160634 This is the one I can find the most about, however I would quite like dropbars and Im not quite sure how well it would be on "all surfaces" as it looks very road orientated

https://claudbutler.co.uk/product/radical/ This I can't find a great deal on but seems and very well suited for what I am after

https://dawescycles.com/product/galaxy-cromo/ This doesn't seem to offer much more over the radical for the extra price other than it looks nicer and has cable routing although I may be wrong and more research is needed either way

The other one I have been looking at but stock isn't until late june is the Triban RC 520, much like the portobello I could find a lot on this and it seems good for the money.

But if I am looking in the wrong direction here fellas do let me know

Soldato
The Whyte has the better groupset (drive train) although it is basically a 1990s mountain bike in that setup, it's also a 1x setup so no front deraillur to worry about, gearing should be more than enough for climbing hills but its very much a hybrid road bike really with flat bars.

The Triban RC 520 gravel bike is an absolute bargain for what you get, its the mid range groupset, it has the Shimano 105 groupset, semi hydraulic brakes so decent stopping power, its also a carbon bladed fork so a little more compliance than a straight up alloy fork, but not as good as full carbon.

If you can wait until stock is available, I'd go for the Triban RC 520 gravel bike.

Soldato
OP
The Whyte has the better groupset (drive train) although it is basically a 1990s mountain bike in that setup, it's also a 1x setup so no front deraillur to worry about, gearing should be more than enough for climbing hills but its very much a hybrid road bike really with flat bars.

The Triban RC 520 gravel bike is an absolute bargain for what you get, its the mid range groupset, it has the Shimano 105 groupset, semi hydraulic brakes so decent stopping power, its also a carbon bladed fork so a little more compliance than a straight up alloy fork, but not as good as full carbon.

If you can wait until stock is available, I'd go for the Triban RC 520 gravel bike.

Yeah the RC 520 is what Im leaning to most I think, just going to have to wait I guess.

Soldato
Might be worth checking out the Calibre Dark Peak as an entry level bike at £499 which should be out in a few weeks (current model is 599 with Tiagra groupset). Decent spec for the money with Claris groupset (entry level) depends on how much you want to spend, if its on cyclescheme dont forget things like clothing/protection/lights etc.

Back
Top Bottom