spec me for a cad system, budget £650/700

Associate
So in a few months time (Jan/Feb probably) I will have saved up enough money for a new system. I'm a mechanical engineering student and so need something that works well for CAD programs such as Solidworks and autocad.

Which chipset do people anticipate will give the best balance of power, efficiency and future proofness for the money. I don't need an overclocked gaming powerhouse, just something that will be able to handle mid-level cad with ease and a bit of number crunching too as I move into some computational fluid dynamics. I know bulldozer is set for release soon, and then AMD's new socket FM2 next year. Is it worth waiting for either of these? I'm not to sure what Intel is up to in the coming months...

In terms of workstation graphics- the age old question- AMD or Nvidia? I hear the quadro 600 is great, but I might like to put two firepro V4800's in crossfire when more money becomes available... Also are these workstation cards compatible with most motherboards?

I'm quite new to system building, so any relevant advice would be greatly appreciated

poohbear90

Soldato
so you wont be buying this system until Jan/Feb time?

come back a couple of days before youre going to buy as anything we spec now will have changed in Jan/Feb.

Associate
OP
That's fair enough, but did you have a look at any of my questions? Is that budget realistic for a decent cad system? what technology will be available by then? I'm just doing my research

Back
Top Bottom