Spec me horror film

Soldato
Is it just me or are most horror films now just jump scares? That's not scary.

I want to finish the film not wired but disturbed. A mental breakdown, not a heart attack.

Add mentioned before, REC is very good.

Suspended
Is it just me or are most horror films now just jump scares? That's not scary.

I want to finish the film not wired but disturbed. A mental breakdown, not a heart attack.

Add mentioned before, REC is very good.

The Blair Witch Project does this very well, still holds up today and very creepy. Especially when they are running away from the tent and she sees something in the woods and screams "What the **** is that? What the **** is that?" you really feel like you are there with them. The ending is messed up too.

Soldato
The Blair Witch Project does this very well, still holds up today and very creepy. Especially when they are running away from the tent and she sees something in the woods and screams "What the **** is that? What the **** is that?" you really feel like you are there with them. The ending is messed up too.

I watched that on it's DVD release, I'd have been 16. I watched the mockumentary first, then the actual film. Really messed with my head :D

Soldato
Not seen all those, Audition and ichi the killer are plain nasty IMHO.
the hole is weak. <-- Sorry I saw the remake, not sure about the original

Some goodies in there though.
ringu
the eye
let the right one in

Last edited:
Soldato
If you like a little fun/comedy in your horror you can do a lot worse than the Host.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468492/

Or Battle Royal

If you want disturbing/unsettling, rather than watch all the later Eastern Movies that rip him off, just watch David Lynch films.

I suggest
Twin Peaks the movie (Fire walk with me)
Lost Highway
Mullholand Drive

All a bit mind bending/tense/horrific in parts and often disturbing.

Soldato
A Serbian film.

A Serbian film is one film that stayed with me....well two specific scenes.

The ending scene with his son (no more details necessary; bothered me massively)....also followed by the other scene with the newborn.

Not your typical horror movie, just a disturbing mind **** of a movie.

I watch a TON of horror movie, mainstream , underground, foreign, classic, extreme exploit etc.

In the past few years the ones I have appreciated (not sure I can use the word enjoy) the most are :

1)The Poughkeepsie Tapes - low budget found footage film.
2)It Follows - marmite movie this, but I thought it was great.
3)Chaser - S Korean movie.....great, great premise. Have been talks of a Hollywood remake with Di Caprio.
4)I Saw the Devil - another S Korean movie. Similar to Chaser.
5)Headless - this will not be everyone's cup of tea. Another low budget underground movie. Great soundtrack with a chilling finale.

Soldato
If you like a little fun/comedy in your horror you can do a lot worse than the Host.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468492/

Or Battle Royal

If you want disturbing/unsettling, rather than watch all the later Eastern Movies that rip him off, just watch David Lynch films.

I suggest
Twin Peaks the movie (Fire walk with me)
Lost Highway
Mullholand Drive

All a bit mind bending/tense/horrific in parts and often disturbing.

I have a love hate relationship with David Lynch stuff. I enjoy the strangeness of them but then he cheapens the whole thing by making it all a dream. It gives him free reign to make it as random as he wants with no cohesiveness.

To me, that takes away any cleverness or eariness from the film.

C.R.A.Z.Y's list is good. Far east horror was amazing in the late 90's/early 00's.

Pulse (Kairo) is my favorite from the list. It's a very dark film but you watch the whole thing with a horrible sense of dread. Great atmosphere.

Soldato
I have a love hate relationship with David Lynch stuff. I enjoy the strangeness of them but then he cheapens the whole thing by making it all a dream. It gives him free reign to make it as random as he wants with no cohesiveness.

To me, that takes away any cleverness or eariness from the film.

C.R.A.Z.Y's list is good. Far east horror was amazing in the late 90's/early 00's.

Pulse (Kairo) is my favorite from the list. It's a very dark film but you watch the whole thing with a horrible sense of dread. Great atmosphere.

Sorry but you are quite wrong :)

Soldato
In the past few years the ones I have appreciated (not sure I can use the word enjoy) the most are :

1)The Poughkeepsie Tapes - low budget found footage film.
2)It Follows - marmite movie this, but I thought it was great.
3)Chaser - S Korean movie.....great, great premise. Have been talks of a Hollywood remake with Di Caprio.
4)I Saw the Devil - another S Korean movie. Similar to Chaser.
5)Headless - this will not be everyone's cup of tea. Another low budget underground movie. Great soundtrack with a chilling finale.

We have very similar taste :)
I'm going to admit to enjoying Unfriended, you might enjoy that one, OP.

Also try some of the Slenderman movies, they can be pretty creepy without resorting to the standard jump scare rubbish, I like them anyway. I think the last one I enjoyed was called Slender.

Someone else mentioned Sinister and I agree, you definitely need to watch that.

A great recent movie with some comedy mixed in is 'They're watching'.

The invitation is another good recent movie.

The ghost movie that has stood out for me is The Others, hands down the best ghost story I've watched in years.

Soldato
We have very similar taste :)
I'm going to admit to enjoying Unfriended, you might enjoy that one, OP.

Also try some of the Slenderman movies, they can be pretty creepy without resorting to the standard jump scare rubbish, I like them anyway. I think the last one I enjoyed was called Slender.

Someone else mentioned Sinister and I agree, you definitely need to watch that.

A great recent movie with some comedy mixed in is 'They're watching'.

The invitation is another good recent movie.

The ghost movie that has stood out for me is The Others, hands down the best ghost story I've watched in years.

Cheers Simi, I will check out some of those. I have seen Sinister and thought it was great!

Back
Top Bottom