Spec me my first car please :)

Underboss
don't insure any car before you buy the car, once your happy with the car, get your insurance sorted out
if this is your first car and you currently do not have any insurance, either (if buying from a dealer) you could put a deposit down, come home, do the insurance, tax etc, use money supermarket.com for example for quotes, go fully comp!
then go and pick up the car
or you could just phone up the (or any) insurance company there and insure it

Associate
OP
quick autotrader search

Honda Cr-Z 1.5

Honda Insight 1.3 ES CVT

Toyota Auris 1.8 T4 5dr

Lucky it's not too busy at work today, it's given me a chance to look around online.

Insurance on the Hyundai coupe was 720. Plus it's 250 on the tax. Also, it's in Teeside!

I've found a nice Ford Fiesta; https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...sing-location=at_cars&price-from=2000&seller-

95% of my driving XP is in one of those. Insurance is 620.

Mileage seems very low though. I think it's a private seller too, and I've been warned that garages are the safe bet. Says it has full-service history.

Soldato
Worth having a look one 'class' higher at the Focus, Astra, Mazda3, Leon too. You'll get a lot more for the same money than you will at the Fiesta/Corsa level although you need you weigh that against the insurance costs as it seems like you're getting rather reasonable quotes so far.

Associate
OP
Worth having a look one 'class' higher at the Focus, Astra, Mazda3, Leon too. You'll get a lot more for the same money than you will at the Fiesta/Corsa level although you need you weigh that against the insurance costs as it seems like you're getting rather reasonable quotes so far.

cheers. ill do that and see what the insurance quotes are like.

Associate
OP
hey guys!!

I've found a couple of cars.

I've sat in this one and feel like I want to buy it today.
https://www.theaa.com/used-cars/cardetails?t=busseys&u=11138

I will pay the whole amount and the guy said they can negotiate on the price.

Insurance is 603. Tax is 20, for some reason? 69k miles.

The other one I've been quoted on is a white 2011 vauxhall corsa. It has a 1 litre ECOflex engine. 40k miles.

They've offered me 4500, but I haven't tried to haggle with them yet.

Insurance is 522. Tax is 30.

The Vauxhall has better fuel economy. But it's Dunstable. Also I want the Peugeot.

Any thoughts here?

Sorry for not mentioning my age, that would have helped.

Associate
hey guys!!

Insurance is 603. Tax is 20, for some reason? 69k miles

Always negotiate on price!!

CO2 Emissions are very low hence £20 TAX

MOT runs out this month so get them to put a new one on it.

Check tyres, been picked up on previous as advisory's but looking at the date, probably been changed by now.

Associate
OP
hey guys!!

Insurance is 603. Tax is 20, for some reason? 69k miles.

The other one I've been quoted on is a white 2011 vauxhall corsa. It has a 1 litre ECOflex engine.

They've offered me 4500, but I haven't tried to haggle with them yet.

Insurance is 522. Tax is 30.

The Vauxhall has better fuel economy. But it's Dunstable. Also I want the Peugeot.

Any thoughts here?

Sorry for not mentioning my age, that would have helped.
Always negotiate on price!!

CO2 Emissions are very low hence £20 TAX

MOT runs out this month so get them to put a new one on it.

Check tyres, been picked up on previous as advisory's but looking at the date, probably been changed by now.

I checked the tyres. They are in good condition.

Thank you picking up on the MOT. I will mention that. The Corsa has been offered with MOT on 1year warranty.

Soldato
Just a quickie - you are getting quotes for Fully Comp, with the lowest excess offered, aren't you?

TPF&T/Ridiculous Excess is a false economy - and often doesn't work out cheaper than the fully comp option.

Soldato
4,500 is way to high for a 7 year old Corsa. No matter how popular they are.

If that's what the market is willing to pay, no, no it isn't too high.

A quick search for manual petrol Corsas from 2011/12 within 30 miles of me brings back results between £3k (100k mile examples) and £5k (30k mile examples).

If the OP can get it cheaper, that's great but it isn't like they're asking for anything out of the ordinary.

Soldato
Cars like this will always be more expensive than they should be as they're in high demand for new drivers/old people/etc and most people aren't willing to travel to the other side of the country to get the cheapest one.

True, but what's changed in 10 years to make the value of them nearly double? When I was buying my first car in 2008 I got a 4 year old Astra 1.6 for £2k, I'm surprised that much older Corsas are somehow now worth double that even with inflation taken into account.

Soldato
True, but what's changed in 10 years to make the value of them nearly double? When I was buying my first car in 2008 I got a 4 year old Astra 1.6 for £2k, I'm surprised that much older Corsas are somehow now worth double that even with inflation taken into account.

That’s never been the going rate for a 4 year old Astra. The list price on even the base model would have been about £12k.

Back
Top Bottom