• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Spec me OCUK's cheap and cheerful GFX card!

Soldato
I'm selling my X1900XT because I don't play games anymore. However, I do watch a lot of HD material which is passed via DVI to my Samsung TV.

Do OCUK offer any well priced ATI graphics cards that will handle HD with no problems?

I'm not even sure what part the graphics card plays to be honest. I use VLC player to watch .ts files usually, but also DVDs.

Many thanks,

EDIT - I won't bother unless the X1900XT sells for a reasonable amount.

Man of Honour
Don't quote me but I'm fairly sure VLC uses the CPU for decoding and hence pretty much any card with dvi output should suit your needs. My dad's PC has a Voodoo3 and I installed it on there to play DVDs.

Maybe have a look secondhand, can probably pick something up quite cheaply although being on PCI-E will limit your options.

Soldato
Pick up a 7300GT DDR3 if you can. I've got one and its way way better than I had expected - it overclocks like a bomb too. BF2142 runs @ 1280x1024 medium details at waaay over 20fps, its great.

Not that gaming especially matters to you.... :D

Soldato
OP
I just realised I have UT2007 and the next C&C game pre-ordered DOH!

Might get the card you mentioned, or an X1650XT or something like that. I'm still making roughly £100 either way. Or knowing me if OCUK put something in This Week Only I might be a fool and buy something better, in other words do the opposite of what I intended :(

Last edited:
Associate
7300 series sounds about the right mark for non-gaming. Probably worth gettinmg one that is HDCP compliant if you plan to watch HD format discs in the future.

Soldato
OP
I have a friend who comes over sometimes and we play lan games of Zero Hour and UT2004, would that be fast enough to run those?

I think I might play it safe and get a HIS ATI Radeon X1650 Pro ICEQ Turbo 256MB GDDR3 AVIVO HDTV/Dual DVI.

If my X1900XT goes for the target price, I won't lose out on too much.

Soldato
Got an Asus EN7300GS in this rig, and it works fine, 1 VGA 1DVI and for what it is works very well. think this should do you just fine, gets my vote. Even plays games if you didnt wanna play something :p

Soldato
I'd expect around £150 for your old card, maybe even as low as £130, so it might not be worthwhile downgrading to an X1650XT for the sake of £30-50? Personally I'd try and pick up a second hand X850XT/X800GTO2 (like me :p), should get one for £50 on the MM.

Man of Honour
Tommy B said:
I have a friend who comes over sometimes and we play lan games of Zero Hour and UT2004, would that be fast enough to run those?

I think I might play it safe and get a HIS ATI Radeon X1650 Pro ICEQ Turbo 256MB GDDR3 AVIVO HDTV/Dual DVI.

If my X1900XT goes for the target price, I won't lose out on too much.

Ah, so when you said you don't play games anymore, that wasn't strictly true?:)

Personally I wouldn't bother - by the time you've paid postage (to receive new card and dispatch old one) your profit will likely be much smaller than you hope. As mentioned I wouldn't hold much hope of getting much more than £130, at least not from savvy buyers. I'd just keep the card as at least you know it does the job and saves a lot of hassle.

Soldato
OP
They seem to be going for £160 on eBay.

I could get a much faster card, but then I'd need to upgrade my 3500+ and my 1GB ram to actually see the benefit. I'm also getting a very high-spec laptop if I get into uni so there's no point in wasting hundreds upgrading my current PC.

A second hand X850XT/X800GTO2 sounds ideal. I'll have a look on MM and eBay.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
**** it. I've ended the auction :D

Although if it doesn't play UT2007 fairly well I'll be annoyed.

Current spec:

Athlon 64 3500+
1GB Corsair TwinX Pro C2 Ram
X1900XT
Abit AV8 (or AN8 can't remember)

Back
Top Bottom