Spec me some earphones £50.

Caporegime
So after my 2nd pair of Shure earphones failing (SE110) due to shoddy wiring I need a new pair of headphones, I liked the over the ear design of the Shure headphones, shame they had such poor build quality. Any ideas?

Associate
For a pair of £50 over the ear IEM's I don't think you will get better than the SoundMAGIC PL50's. I had a pair and they were excellent, the guys over at Head-Fi also rave about them. The only reason I didn't keep them was because I love lots of bass - the PL50's were a bit lacking in that area but they will be brilliant for a non-basshead.

If you like a (little) bit more bass, and want a brand name then another great choice are the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3's - they can be had for about £55 :)

Hope that helps!

Soldato
I just got some some Soundmagic PL30's for 15 quid. So far I think they sound much better than my Senn CX300s and have just as much bass. Using them with a FiiO E5 and ipod classic. They are also supposed to be worn over the ear but I don't like it and find they work just fine wearing them normally.

C64

C64

Soldato
At the mo the double flanges and kind of have to put them in upside down will try the foam tips next they are probably the best.Cant complain at £15 delivered though.I think triple flanges would work nice with these.

Associate
Shamrock: I'd give some ComplyFoam Tips a try if I was you :) I've got them on my Super.fi 5 EB's and they have the best seal of all my headphones, the Klipsch oval tips are the most comfortable I have tried though.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Shamrock: I'd give some ComplyFoam Tips a try if I was you :) I've got them on my Super.fi 5 EB's and they have the best seal of all my headphones, the Klipsch oval tips are the most comfortable I have tried though.

Are those the ones that come with the SE110's? I found them to be very comfortable and provide a perfect seal, do they come with the PL's?

Associate
Are those the ones that come with the SE110's? I found them to be very comfortable and provide a perfect seal, do they come with the PL's?

I know the SE110's come with foamies but I'm not sure if they are Comply's - the foamies that came with my Super.fi 5 EB's were pretty good but not as soft/squidgy as the Comply's.

The Shure "Olive" tips apparently fit the SoundMAGIC PL50's which are suppose to give an excellent fit & seal, they can also be washed so last quite a while :)

Caporegime
OP
Less than one month and the PL50's are falling apart, that must be a new record, such poor build quality I've never seen before.

crap.jpg

Soldato
you ask shure about out of warranty replacements? i got my se530s replaced outside of warranty as the wires had split, no trouble at all and great customer service!

Associate
If you like a (little) bit more bass, and want a brand name then another great choice are the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3's - they can be had for about £55 :)
Hope that helps!

In my fairly extensive testing I found these earphones to be by far the best in their price range. Love em.

C64

C64

Soldato
Less than one month and the PL50's are falling apart, that must be a new record, such poor build quality I've never seen before.

crap.jpg

shocking where did you get them from if its not a competitor ?
had my pl30's around 5 months ish i think still going strong no signs of breaking glad i only paid £15 for them if his is what I can expect.

Back
Top Bottom