Spec me some matt clearcoat

Soldato
Hi - I'm in the process of building the Deag Millennium Falcon, to be exact it's now fully assembled and base coated and is ready for painting then weathering. Ideally I want to seal in between the painting process and then the weathering process and then seal the weathering so what matt clearcoat would you recommend?

I have both an air brush and a full size paint gun if the product needs spraying (The model is quite large at 80cm long and 60cm in diameter so not really suited to air brushing I wouldn't have thought? I could be wrong though!). I'm not adverse to using rattle cans if needs be.

Cheers :)

Associate
I use Vallejo Premium matt varnish & gloss varnish its designed to be used in an airbrush so no thinning required I just add a couple of drops of flow improver into the airbrush then add the varnish & you are good to go.

Hope this helps

Cheers all

Associate
I use Vallejo Premium matt varnish & gloss varnish its designed to be used in an airbrush so no thinning required I just add a couple of drops of flow improver into the airbrush then add the varnish & you are good to go.

Hope this helps

Cheers all

have you tried brushing on did pick some up but yet to try it

Soldato

Hope this helps

Cheers all
I picked up both bottles last weekend to start to learn how to oilwash and pin washing. The stuff was super easy to use and had a great finish.

Have you tried the Satin for Finished models?

Associate
I picked up both bottles last weekend to start to learn how to oilwash and pin washing. The stuff was super easy to use and had a great finish.

Have you tried the Satin for Finished models?
Not yet but I have discovered Nuln Oil from Games Workshop getting some great results with it :)

Cheers all

Last edited:
Soldato
Not yet but I have discovered Nuln Oil from Games Workshop getting some great results with it :)

Cheers all

if you're not done yet, you can also try abteilung 502 engine grease, or other black oil paints for pin lining and weathering are loads easier, I also use Rob Ross odourless thinner with this as it smells a lot less than turps or white spirit
the advantage of this is that you can slather it all over and then use the thinners with something soft like a sponge to clean it off the raised surfaces unlike washes that you end up having to paint back over to highlight or tidy up

also +1 on vallejo varnish

Associate
been using the Vallajo Matt varnish but have been using 2 parts varnish to maybe one part matt medium

brush to apply

Back
Top Bottom