Spec me some salt & pepper grinders

Associate
Hi chaps,

I'm after some good quality salt and pepper grinders, I've had a couple of sets of plastic ones from cole and mason and found that the plastic is susceptible to stress fractures.

So I'm after a good quality set, please recommend away.

Thanks all.

Soldato
If, like me, your requirements from a grinder are for it to be highly adjustable, durable, cleverly designed and robust, you can't go far wrong with these from IKEA.

Apart from being practically perfect in almost every way*, they don't make a mess of your kitchen cupboards, having been cleverly designed to sit 'upside down' rather than in the normal fashion.

Nothing else I've used has come close to matching them. And I do a fair bit of cooking in other peoples kitchens and have come across some absolute tat in my time - most recently these and these.

And a special mention goes out to every single battery-powered grinder I've ever had the displeasure of using. Hateful bloody things.

*apart from only being sold in IKEA, which might be a problem.

Soldato
I also fully recommend the T&G ones, although we have the ones where you can see your salt and pepper: linky

Our local John Lewis store has all their grinders lined up with salt and pepper in ready to test. As soon as you turn the T&G ones you will want some, they stand out a mile and grind with incredible ease.

Associate
Never understood the need for a salt mill - just get a salt pig and some nice quality sea salt - the quantity is much more controllable. I also have a small pot of table salt for uses that require it.

With the above, it's much easier to justify £20-£30 on a really good pepper mill.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the responses guys, a friend did recommend some Peugeot mills and they seem to have a good rep. But the crushgrind mills get some seriously good reviews on amazon, and on here also it seems, I think I'll probably go for a matching pair of Apollos.

Oh, and regarding the ikea grinders, they do look good actually, but the lady and I have been promising ourselves some decent grinders for the past three years, if an ikea was just down the road then I'd give them a go, but unfortunately the closest one is about an hour and a half away. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Once they arrive I'll post my feedback, much obliged.

Soldato
I like a kitchen gadget as much as the next man, but sixty quid?!

Have you two taken temporary leave of your senses?!

I don't bother with the salt one and I got the pepper one for £25. I've already spent about a fiver on cheap carp in the past 2/3 years. The quality on this is fantastic and it's going to last me a lifetime. For that, it's worth the money for me.

Associate
OP
Got the T&G crushgrinds yesterday, they are rather good. Loads of salt & pepper comes out and a great grinding action, I am a very satisfied customer.

Soldato
Let's get a 2020 update to this. I've been wanting salt and pepper mills for awhile now but can't find anything that that ticks all the boxes. I looked at the T&G CrushGrind Apollo posted here 7 years ago and the for a pair the Rainforest has em £80 or there abouts, that's to rich for me for a salt and pepper mill, I was thinking max £30. Maybe T&G CrushGrind or Cole & Mason Harrogate Inverta.

Has to be manual, get out with your electric mills!

Soldato
Not much has changed..... Just look for ones with ceramic heads, as mentioned above the oxo one is very good, mine is still going strong after 8 years

Back
Top Bottom