Spec me some tyres

Soldato
Hi,
Anyone recommend some good tyres for this time of year for 29" wheels?
Not fussed on price right now as long as they're good ones gripy for icy weather
Forgot to say they're for a mountain bike not a road bike.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hey,
Hmm a bit of everything really I use the bike daily both on road, off road down dirt paths etc but for example this morning it was kinda icy/frost on the ground and I could feel my tires ain't got the grip I'd like, they're some hybrid mtb/road tyres that are 29x2.20 profile I think, original wheels where knobbly proper mtb ones that were 29x2.25 so I'm looking to go back to slightly wider ones again for the extra grip

Associate
if you've swapped from the original nobbly tyres to smooth hybrid, why not swap back? Sounds like any nobblies might be better, but you presumably dont want/need full on mud tyres if you're commuting on-road a lot.

How about a XC/trail tyre? value for money the Onza Canis are pretty good (with CRC's present sale) for a 29 er tyre.
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/onza-canis-mtb-tyre/rp-prod191104
under £20 for tubeless ready decent tyres - can't be beaten really? (just don't ask me what the 4 different versions are...)

Soldato
OP
I believe the ones i had on before were Schwalbe smart sams and they were pretty decent back last winter even in snow/ice not once did the bike slide,They had worn though which is why id replaced em with the smooth hybrids i got on now when the weather got better but now were back to the winter again.

Are Onza a decent brand then? also whats confusing me is -

1- Can i put 2.35 on my 29" wheels,As before there was 2.25s (MTB tyres) and now i have on 2.20 Hybrids
2 - My bike has tubes,Can i still put inner tubes inside "Tubeless" tyres or best to stick to regular tyres?

Sorry if they're stupid questions :D

Soldato
2.35 is a very common size, the only thing to consider is if they are too wide for the frame, particularly the back wheel, but most mtb frames should be able to accommodate that width unless the frame is really old, or it's a really cheap frame, what bike is it?

Associate
AFAIK Onza used to be a popular mtb tyre brand in the 90s and have reappeared about 2-3 years ago. They got some press due to Aaron Gwin using them when winning world championships with YT bikes. I seem to remember reading that his Onza tyre was basically a prototype copy of a Maxxis High Roller 2 with different material compound – so I’ve had the impression that Onza and Maxxis are somehow linked (probably wrongly tho).

But… if you were happy with the older Smart Sam’s (and know they fit well) then why not just get the same again?
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schwalbe-smart-sam-performance-tyre/rp-prod171961

Soldato
OP
2.35 is a very common size, the only thing to consider is if they are too wide for the frame, particularly the back wheel, but most mtb frames should be able to accommodate that width unless the frame is really old, or it's a really cheap frame, what bike is it?

Its a Cube Analog CMPT 29er (2016)

AFAIK Onza used to be a popular mtb tyre brand in the 90s and have reappeared about 2-3 years ago. They got some press due to Aaron Gwin using them when winning world championships with YT bikes. I seem to remember reading that his Onza tyre was basically a prototype copy of a Maxxis High Roller 2 with different material compound – so I’ve had the impression that Onza and Maxxis are somehow linked (probably wrongly tho).

But… if you were happy with the older Smart Sam’s (and know they fit well) then why not just get the same again?
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schwalbe-smart-sam-performance-tyre/rp-prod171961

I might do was just wondering if theres anything that would be better,The bike actually came with Smart Sams from factory. :)

Back
Top Bottom