Spec me soups for a month

Associate
Yes, you read it right, I'm going to try and stop eating out for lunch at work, and bring in my own lunch - the plan is to keep it simple - soup!

There are two aims driving this - one to stop spending as much for lunch, and two, to help lose some much needed weight for my marathon in May. Apparently you gain 2 seconds every mile, for each pound lost. Not sure how much I can lose, but we will see.

To do this, I'm going to plan and prep a months food in advance. If I make enough for say 5/6 soup servings each time, then once I have a big enough batch in storage(5 different soups), I only need to cook once a week to keep stocks up!

For starters, I'm thinking of things that are still 'ok' after freezing, this being Pumpkin porridge, and a Garlic soup. Possibly a lentil soup as well, who knows. I should probably think of some sensible protein sides as well!

Prep for this will start next Saturday, so more recipes are welcome!

Soldato
Not strictly a soup, but it's sorta similar, and by adding more water it will thin out. Himalayan style Dal. I've worked on this recipe from when I was traveling, and this is pretty good:
2 onions
10 Garlic Cloves
2" fresh ginger
3 cups lentils/pulses/beans - I use 1 cup Red lentils .5 cup green lentils .5 cup speckled lentils .5 cup mung beans .5 cup adzuki beans
Ghee - buy it or make your own
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp garam masala
2 tsp tumeric
.5 tsp ish ground black pepper
.2 tsp white pepper
1tsp cayenne pepper for a fiery bite

You can also add fresh chilies - finely chop them and sweat with the onions etc.

Soak mung and adzuki beans overnight
Nest day, bung other pulses in to soak whilst you:
Chop onions, finely chop/mince ginger and garlic and sweat down in the ghee for 10 mins or so
Bung in the spices and stir for a few mins, then drain and add all the pulses.
Throw in 8 cups of water and bring to a boil, then simmer for 20/25 mins, adding water to bring it to your desired consistency.

Freezes incredibly well and can be eaten with pita bread, or whatever you want.

Soldato
Lentil daal dishes are awesome for lunches. I need to start having this again!

Spiced parsnip soup is really easy. Peel and roughly chop parsnips, fry in a little oil with a generous amount of ginger. Add enough boiling water to cover and leave until the parsnips are very tender. Use a stick blender to liquidise. Add garam masala to taste. You can also add coconut milk if you like.

Soldato
Pea and ham soup:
1 Onion chopped
1 Garlic clove chopped
1 Large potato diced
3 Stalks Celery chopped
500g Green Split Peas
1 Bacon hock
1.5litres Chicken Stock
Ground black pepper

Sweat onion, garlic and celery until soft. Add potato, split peas, hock, stock and pepper - bring to boil and gently simmer for ~1hr

Remove from heat and remove hock. Remove skin and bone from hock and dice the meat. Blend the soup to your desired consistency then add the diced bacon. Serve and enjoy - also freezes well

Associate
Don't have a recipe to hand, but we had a glut of celery this year so we made celery soup for the first time, which was delicious. Basically a whole rib/head of celery including leaf, onion, garlic, potato (for texture), bit of carrot, spiced with coriander. Cooked until soft (just in water - no need for a stock here) then blitzed well and seasoned.

For a bonus flavour hit, fry up chorizo (chopped) until crispy then chop well until you have a fine powder. Sprinkle on the soup (any soup!) to give it a lift.

Back
Top Bottom