Spec me the new iMac Pro - as a PC

Commissario
Heh, a fairly decent small car, I'd guess. I have to say that I'm extremely happy with my 27" 5k. Judging by how long the old one lasted me before I felt the need to change it, it's got a good few years of life ahead of it and I'm pleased I specced the 1Tb SSD.

Man of Honour
I did find my 2014 5k lacking in CPU grunt sometimes, I think it had the 4790K in it and when running Lightroom or lots of VMs it would sit at high usage with the fans going. I'd love one of the new ones as a general workhorse but for the price I could buy a hefty Dell server and run ESXi on it.

Man of Honour
The only reason I see me buying one is for certifications and being able to run a large home lab. For a lot less money, I could buy 4 NUCs and run an ESXi home lab and achieve more. Nowhere near as cool, though!

I wouldn't pay any VAT on it thought, so I'd get 20% off.

Soldato
OP
The only reason I see me buying one is for certifications and being able to run a large home lab. For a lot less money, I could buy 4 NUCs and run an ESXi home lab and achieve more. Nowhere near as cool, though!

I wouldn't pay any VAT on it thought, so I'd get 20% off.

Not as bad then with no VAT - I can't justify it sadly given I'm running a system now within '10% or less' as good performance for 7 times less money but hell do I want it though! lol

Man of Honour
I couldn't justify it, I had a 5k iMac for about 2 years and it was used very little, especially since I quit photography. I love macOS on a MacBook Pro, but I am not so keen on a desktop. So I sold the iMac and moved my Win 10 gaming PC downstairs. It now gets more use, but only for gaming. Everything computer based is on my MBP.

Soldato
OP
I couldn't justify it, I had a 5k iMac for about 2 years and it was used very little, especially since I quit photography. I love macOS on a MacBook Pro, but I am not so keen on a desktop. So I sold the iMac and moved my Win 10 gaming PC downstairs. It now gets more use, but only for gaming. Everything computer based is on my MBP.

Fair point. I'm a full time photographer/videographer so specs matter to me! lol

However I'm in the eco system so gonna move this machine to MacOS then drop in Ryzen 2 when its out - still rocking a 980ti which will go down in history as fairly unmatched for longevity, still slaying frame rates and plenty enough for photo/video edits.

Soldato
The thing is, a fully spec'd iMac comes in at under £4k — ok, it's not the same spec as an iMac Pro but I bet for most people that would be more than enough power and the screen is the same.

Unless you're doing serious 3D or video work I can't see the point.

I work with the Adobe Creative Suite on a daily basis using InDesign, Illustrator, Lightroom and Photoshop — I even do the odd but in AfterEffects and Premiere — a top spec iMac would be fine for me.

Soldato
OP
The thing is, a fully spec'd iMac comes in at under £4k — ok, it's not the same spec as an iMac Pro but I bet for most people that would be more than enough power and the screen is the same.

Unless you're doing serious 3D or video work I can't see the point.

I work with the Adobe Creative Suite on a daily basis using InDesign, Illustrator, Lightroom and Photoshop — I even do the odd but in AfterEffects and Premiere — a top spec iMac would be fine for me.

Screen is different its not as colour accurate.

Quad cores are to slow for me - so unless apple do the 6 core intel this year, its useless for the money - I need at least a 6/8 core - ideally 8 for LR/photoshop/video (its faster not just because of what the apps doing, it keeps the rest of the system fast).

No ECC ram either

No where near as good GPU on imac - but its good enough for work stuff, photo, video etc.

Back
Top Bottom