Spec me the new iMac Pro - as a PC

Soldato
Screen is different its not as colour accurate.

Really? Everything I've seen says it's the same panel?

Quad cores are too slow for me - so unless Apple do the 6 core Intel this year, its useless for the money - I need at least a 6/8 core - ideally 8 for LR/photoshop/video (its faster not just because of what the apps doing, it keeps the rest of the system fast).

No ECC ram either

Nowhere near as good GPU on iMac - but its good enough for work stuff, photo, video etc.

I'm sure you know your own requirements better than anyone else, so if you'll notice a difference in the Pro then go for it.

Like I said earlier, I do design and photo work on a daily basis as well as some video. While I'm sure the Pro will be faster, I'm not convinced it will be so much faster that it would justify the additional expense.

Soldato
OP
Well it's not that bad, Vega 56. Not enough juice to run latest titles at native screen resolution but you'd get something out of it. But anyway, I better not start thinking about such things.

Get that or the 64 - obviously around as fast as a 1070 - so for a Mac good but still not the best - could run 2.7k easy enough in some titles and some at native even.

Soldato
OP
I can see Apple releasing regular 6 core Intel iMac's next year, using cooling technology from the iMac Pro.

No need to use imac pro cooling as the CPU runs at same watt as now.

But in that case they will also release a 6 core macbook pro - if I had to choose between the 2 might as well get the 6 core macbook pro tbh.......

Permabanned
Yeah its almost lazy of apple. I mean its for pro use with design, video, photos etc it really should have had a more impressive screen size or at least 2 different size options.

Man of Honour
Finally got a delivery date!

Dispatched: Delivers 12/02/2018 by Standard Shipping
Signature required
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

imacpro-27-retina-config-hero

iMac Pro
With the following configuration:
2.3GHz 18-core Intel Xeon W processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.3GHz
64GB 2666MHz DDR4 ECC memory
2TB SSD
Radeon Pro Vega 64 with 16GB of HBM2 memory
Magic Trackpad 2 - Space Grey
PRO APPS 065-C171 NONE
LOGIC PRO 065-C172 NONE
Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad - British - Space Grey
Accessory Kit
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

Qty 1

Soldato
My base model (!) 8 core is right next door to my 2017 quad-core i7/64Gb. Makes the i7 feel like a toy in general operations :/

What I haven't noticed is *output* speed being a lot better. I.e. Single task stuff like video processing or some of my work number crunching doesn't seem to finish any quicker. The real difference - and it's why I bought it - is doing the video & work stuff means I can still use the actual machine while it's happening. So I'll kick off my video exports, or Exchange stuff - switch back to my Windows 10 'office' VM and just carry on working. With the i7 iMac I'd often end up switching to the laptop while that was happening.

The 2017 i7 is now a server running about 10VMs under Fusion, an iTunes server, and general file storage.

Bit overkill but hey ho OMG SPACE GREY.

Soldato
Finally got a delivery date!

Dispatched: Delivers 12/02/2018 by Standard Shipping
Signature required
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

imacpro-27-retina-config-hero

iMac Pro
With the following configuration:
2.3GHz 18-core Intel Xeon W processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.3GHz
64GB 2666MHz DDR4 ECC memory
2TB SSD
Radeon Pro Vega 64 with 16GB of HBM2 memory
Magic Trackpad 2 - Space Grey
PRO APPS 065-C171 NONE
LOGIC PRO 065-C172 NONE
Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad - British - Space Grey
Accessory Kit
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

Qty 1

Strange spec, maxed most areas including the really expensive 18 core option but 64GB memory? Surely the 64GB memory will bottleneck before the processor you have bought.

Commissario
Bit overkill but hey ho OMG SPACE GREY.
There were a lot of complaints (myself included) about the original numeric keypad magic keyboard being flexible, and bending in the middle. I actually went through three or four of them in the Apple store trying to find an unbent one. Does the space grey one seem any stronger, less banana shaped?

Soldato
Depends what you're trying to grunt through doesn't it?
There were a lot of complaints (myself included) about the original numeric keypad magic keyboard being flexible, and bending in the middle. I actually went through three or four of them in the Apple store trying to find an unbent one. Does the space grey one seem any stronger, less banana shaped?

No idea, don't use it! I still use the Logitich K something or other someone recommended to me on here. I did try the keyboard but I found the layout just enough different to be irritating....So it went in a drawer.

Back
Top Bottom