Spec me the new iMac Pro - as a PC

Man of Honour
Very nice Jimdot lad, looking forward to hearing how well it plays CS2 ;)

If I was speccing that sort of machine, I'd have gone with the 4Tb SSD though, you dirty cheapskate :D
hah, current 5k only has 256GB and I've got 100GB free as it is, I did click 4, but then thought, meh, I can buy some HomePods instead :)

Man of Honour
Strange spec, maxed most areas including the really expensive 18 core option but 64GB memory? Surely the 64GB memory will bottleneck before the processor you have bought.

I use it as a home media server 10% of the time, Civ6 10% of the time, and Safari/Outlook 80% of the time, current 5k has 32GB and it barely touches the sides.

iMac said:
MemRegions: 104850 total, 10G resident, 253M private, 2736M shared. PhysMem: 25G used (2703M wired), 7244M unused.

VM: 1858G vsize, 1097M framework vsize, 19497(0) swapins, 35876(0) swapouts. Networks: packets: 313701736/309G in, 398806739/265G out.

If i need more ram, which I'm sure I wont, I'll just upgrade it later (in store!)

Soldato
OP
Well my 15" Full spec Touch Bar slows down ;)

Forgive me, I thought this place was all about pushing hardware to the bleeding edge for benchmark scores ;)

Christ I wish I had all that stuff for my business!!! lol, I have to settle for my Ryzen custom build - does the job but not so fancy, wanna trade ? :D Make a positive donation to a struggling artist ? :p :D

Caporegime
Performance run through here should anyone be vaguely interested.

https://youtu.be/z3hGopxOoio

I watched it but I came away with three thoughts/questions

1) Why did you buy a Mac when you seem to spend a fair bit of time using Windows virtual machines
2) The sound levels were a bit low, I had to turn the volume way up to hear you
3) Do you do any gaming? There seems to be hardly any videos on YouTube that show games running in macOS itself.

Otherwise, thanks for the video!

Soldato
I don't do any gaming, no.

Why do I use a Mac is an interesting question, one I've often pondered tbh. I bought one out of curiousity a number of years ago and I just find them more productive. I spend less time farting about with the OS and Hardware and more time doing stuff that keeps me in holidays and hot women.

Much of it is subjective of course. I spent most my career working with Windows servers, and I"m sure I could spend the rest of it working with Windows servers too (The iMacs replaced couple of aging DL380s).

I'm sure there isn't a 'right' answer here is there? 80-90% of the virtualisation estates I deal with are VMWare. Using Fusion makes them an easy transfer.

Caporegime
I'm sure there isn't a 'right' answer here is there?

Nope, there isn't. For me, it's just a case of being bored with Windows. I want to try something different. 2 grand different is the stickler though. I hope it isn't a case of "the grass isn't always greener." The only stumbling block for me is gaming although tbh I've still got the consoles to fall back on if the Mac turns out to be bothersome on that side of things.

When I had my little iBook G3 years ago, it was probably the best computer I've ever owned. Loved it to bits. But then I bought a Dell notebook which lasted me almost 10 years. Now it's time to return to macOS.

Man of Honour
Unknown.jpg

Fun fun!

Thunderbolt Migration in progress now!

Man of Honour
well, what impressive service from Apple!

I contacted them to ask about a smaller keyboard, they shipped this with the numeric keypad keyboard, which means my magic track pad gets shunted a little too far over for my liking,

So I messaged asking how / if I could buy a standard magic keyboard in space grey as I cant see it on the website..

They're sending me one for free to say sorry that I wasn't 100% happy!

Small simple touch, but one that resonates!

Soldato
well, what impressive service from Apple!

I contacted them to ask about a smaller keyboard, they shipped this with the numeric keypad keyboard, which means my magic track pad gets shunted a little too far over for my liking,

So I messaged asking how / if I could buy a standard magic keyboard in space grey as I cant see it on the website..

They're sending me one for free to say sorry that I wasn't 100% happy!

Small simple touch, but one that resonates!

I've developed a new special type of electricity that I can have wired to your house, it works just like regular electricity, but makes everything 1-5% more powerful. I'm not marketing it yet but thought you might be interested. Only £30/month and minimum term of 5 years. You don't have to do anything, we'll take care of all the work and you don't have to change provider or anything like that.

I've also got a tap water additive and air additive that I'm working on.

Man of Honour
I've developed a new special type of electricity that I can have wired to your house, it works just like regular electricity, but makes everything 1-5% more powerful. I'm not marketing it yet but thought you might be interested. Only £30/month and minimum term of 5 years. You don't have to do anything, we'll take care of all the work and you don't have to change provider or anything like that.

I've also got a tap water additive and air additive that I'm working on.

Yes, but you're lying, if you truly could make electricity 5% more efficient, you'd be a very wealthy individual!

Back
Top Bottom