spec me towels and bedding

Soldato
I've searched older threads, but all seem to be few years old.

What's the current go to place for Egyptian cotton towels? John Lewis?

Likewise for bedsheets/pillow cases/bedding?

Any recommendation welcome.

Soldato
Depends if you want plain or patterned. If plain is ok then any of the supermarket own brands (or Dunelm) are good. John Lewis are very expensive, but very nice and might have more stylish designs. We’ve had some Asda Egyptian cotton sheets for ages and they’ve lasted very well.

Soldato
I've been through a few brands of towels and bed sheets. I've found John Lewis to be the best. Ensure that it's their own brand, and not "House by John Lewis"

Dunelm stuff is okay.

Next's premium cotton towels are very nice too :)

Caporegime
White Company outlet for towels for me... just can't beat them in my opinion they stay really lush and fluffy

Preach brother!

Eye-wateringly expensive, but the nicest towels we have ever used.

For bedding we have gone with the top-range John Lewis 1200 thread-count, again hitting the wallet insanely hard, but they are proper comfy.

Stupid wife and her expensive tastes, I was perfectly happy with Tesco bedding before her :p

Caporegime
Preach brother!

Eye-wateringly expensive, but the nicest towels we have ever used.

For bedding we have gone with the top-range John Lewis 1200 thread-count, again hitting the wallet insanely hard, but they are proper comfy.

Stupid wife and her expensive tastes, I was perfectly happy with Tesco bedding before her :p

i thought 1200 thread count was a scam. that it's impossible to get more than 400 thread count without taking thin strands and combining them to make 1 strand and then doubling / tripling the real thread count figure.

which means your 1200 thread count is 400 thread but 3 strands making 1 thread.

basically you got scammed. just buy 400 thread count in future it's made with thicker strands which is better.

Caporegime
i thought 1200 thread count was a scam. that it's impossible to get more than 400 thread count without taking thin strands and combining them to make 1 strand and then doubling / tripling the real thread count figure.

which means your 1200 thread count is 400 thread but 3 strands making 1 thread.

basically you got scammed. just buy 400 thread count in future it's made with thicker strands which is better.

Getting married is a scam, hey ho, but I did blind feel-testing and regardless of the truth of threadcount (trust me, I did google and plea to save monies) the most expensive one did feel noticably better.

Caporegime
Getting married is a scam, hey ho, but I did blind feel-testing and regardless of the truth of threadcount (trust me, I did google and plea to save monies) the most expensive one did feel noticably better.

i've bought them myself then upon further research found out about it.

i own a majority of egyptian cotton bedding and towels. tbh the thing which seems to make the biggest effect on softness is tumble drying them. drying them any other way leaves them feeling harsher.

tbh i don't really get the big hang up with egyptian cotton either. i reckon it's mostly marketing. i bought hungarian goose down duvets. they were light but they leaked down everywhere. now just buy anti allergy from M&S for 20% of the cost. does the same job but better IMO. just not as light.

so does john lewis have them set up for allowing you to test them? or did you test after purchasing them?

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the suggestions, will check them out.

White company looks proper expensive by quick looking, you all sure it's worth it? Towel shop seems to be about half the price...

I also read about 1200 thread EC being a scam, again, not sure if there's any reason to pay huge premium over 400.

Soldato
As PsychoS said - whats the fuss about EC.

if possible need to hang stuff outside to maximise bounce and life, not kill it in a dryer.

cotton sheets take ages to dry to versus decent polycoton ones .. M&S ... which can feel just as nice.

for towels, as said, JL Supima/pima (Not EC) have best life and bounce .. I think the strategy of buy cheap buy twice does apply.
(debenhams supima/adelaide , amazon hotel bianca , christy EC rubbish)

Buying from Bricks and mortar you can take them back too, if they 'fail' after first use/wash ... as I have done

Back
Top Bottom