Spec me - Washer, Dryer, or Washer Dryer + Freezer?

Can't type for toffee
Don
Yeah I always rated there stuff although I believed it to be Electrolux rather than Whirlpool?
Dishwasher Appears to be Electrolux from the logo on it
Washing machine is whirlpool (Renlig)

Fridge/freezer doesn't have anything notable on it (must be on back) and after fitting a full height fridge/freezer into waht appeared to be a rather snug carcass on me own Im not pulling it out ever again :p hahaha

I understand the like of Samsung and LG for their fancy spaceship looking washing machines with emergency entry doors n the likes on the front, me mams even plays music whien its finished xD

But for integrated, I'd simply go for whatever has the features you need and then price/warranty

Can't type for toffee
Don
Whirlpool who now make Creda, Hotpoint, Indesit and Ariston - stay away.

That's a bit of a sweeping statement to be fair mate

Ours has been running for years now problem free (bar a blockage on the washing machine) which the engineer sorted pretty fast.
Other than that the only thing I've needed to do was replace the wheels on the dishwasher racks.

And bearing in Mind I nabbed them all from bargain corner what's not to like :)

Soldato
Absolutely no point paying for premium white goods these days just buy a cheapo one with good energy rating. Separate washer and dryer. Go a bit more premium on the fridge when you get one though.

Soldato
OP
What a ball ache that was - managed to get a Bosch KGN27 for £409 less about £20 quid in offer stacking. Annoyingly it is white but it is going into the utility so not that bothered. 50/50 split and 54.5cm so it'll fit the gap without messing.

Thanks all!

Soldato
@~Divine~Wind~
Renlig is Ikea's naming product used to be all whirlpool but I think they had a falling out and it's now a mix including Electrolux group (AEG, Zanussi, Electrolux) can make it awkward for customer to know who to call for repair.

Soldato
We have some beko appliances at home, they have been good value for money.
The washers and condenser dryers at my previous camp were all beko, 4 of each per floor which got heavily used. Never knew of one in our block to go down in the 6 years I was there.

Soldato
I recently bought a bush chest freezer.. Standard size 99 or 95 litres.. Can't remember.
It's fine.

One thing I did notice though it that bush I bought appears to be exactly the same as a Russell hobbs model and an unbranded amazon basics model and some other 'brand' I can't remember.

All exactly the same... Same size, same design, same control panel etc.
Exactly the same other than the brand.

I can't remember what I paid, I think it was something like £130, but some of the other identical units were closer to £200 for exactly the same thing.

Soldato
Some bargains to be found instore :cool:
Screenshot-2022081.png

Soldato
I went Samsung for my recent washer as it had 5 years parts and labour moved from integrated to stand alone and its soo much quieter at full spin than the cheap old hotpoint I had. The other thing I've noticed is that when I put in sheet, duvet covers and pillowcases is they don't all get caught inside the duvet cover and become one big ball. Was so impressed with the new one we got a Samsung heatpump tumble drier to match.

Man of Honour
We have a washer dryer but seldom use the dryer function (usually hang stuff in the garden). However we have a separate ventilated utility room so we can hang clothes on an airer there with little issues. That said if you can afford it and have the space it's always good to have a dedicated machine that's good at 1 job.

We also have a chest freezer. Really useful for batch cooking and storing stuff but also doing large shops and then storing stuff that you can use over time. Again if you have the space for it it's brilliant.

Soldato
OP
With this Samsung staff discount I can grab the cheapest grey heat pump one for about 520 quid. Definitely will grab one of those come the winter and sit it on top of the washer.

Soldato
Milk and bread in the freezer?? Seriously? The bread only becomes good for toast and even then it’s still a bit meh, milk I’ve never heard of going in the freezer.

I thought this was the norm for bread - it's the reason why most toasters have a * icon, the defrost and cook function.

Milk is a bit weirder, it turns a strange yellow colour when frozen which I believe is just the fat content going hard. It's a godsend in our house as we go through a lot of milk and if you time it just right you get ice cold milk in your breakfast cereal which is amazing :D.

Man of Honour
I thought this was the norm for bread - it's the reason why most toasters have a * icon, the defrost and cook function.

Milk is a bit weirder, it turns a strange yellow colour when frozen which I believe is just the fat content going hard. It's a godsend in our house as we go through a lot of milk and if you time it just right you get ice cold milk in your breakfast cereal which is amazing :D.
Agreed - when we used to drink lots of cow's milk we always had some bottles of it in the freezer (full fat organic stuff), it defrosts perfectly, you just need to mix it/stir it before use. When we buy cheap sliced bread it also goes in the freezer as it can just be used as and when. It's a fairly common thing. It even says "freezable" on both milk and bread (I just checked! :D).

Soldato
It maybe freezable but doesn’t mean you should do it!

There’s no way it’s better than fresh bread, sure if you’re just toasting it its okay. I’ll stick to a fresh loaf every couple of days.

Same with milk, just get it delivered If you’re going through that much or pick up on the way home when running low. :)

Soldato
It's convenient though, we live in the sticks so it's a 12 mile round trip to the nearest supermarket, whereas we can store 10 litres in the freezer and take out what we need. I don't have the space for that in the fridge and by the time we get to the last one it may not be as fresh anyway. As Freefaller says, as long as you shake the milk after defrosting it taste fine, no discernible difference to me. However, I agree with you on the bread - I can definitely tell if the bread has been frozen, fresh is best always but having some frozen is better than running out :).

Back
Top Bottom