Spec Me... Your Recipes

Soldato
I'm off work now until the new year and want to make the most of being off. I have many jobs I've been given to do while off, but generally want to cook more different things for the family.

We have a pretty varied meal plan for our evening meals and it's always cooked from scratch but would like to do some things we haven't done before.

Therefore; I'd love to hear your must try recipes I could cook up this month!

:p

Associate
I love making juevos rotos, so much so we had it last night! If you'd like me to post up a recipe I'd be more than happy to :)

Also quite keen on making a simple chorizo y patatas...

Permabanned
I've become obsessed with Japanese Oyakodon recently! Basically just chicken and eggs fried up in Dachi stock, soy sauce and Mirin. So easy to make and relatively cheap once you got the pantry stuff in. Absolutely delicious too if you're a fan of that Japanese sweet on savoury type thing.

Associate
Never heard of it, so yep! Would love it! I'll try and make as many of these recommendations as I can :)

Juevos Rotos

1 onion,diced.
1 red pepper, diced.
3 potatoes, diced.
1 chorizo, cut into 1cm slices.
Eggs, one per person.
4 cloves garlic, crushed.
Garlic powder.
Grated cheese.
Mixed herbs.
Worcestershire sauce.
Red wine.
Paprika (smoked if possible).
Salt & pepper.

Fry the onions and peppers in olive oil for a few minutes until onion goes translucent.

Add the chorizo and fry until it releases it oils into the pan.

Once that happens tip in the cubed potatoes and stir - the chorizo oil should coat them all.

Pour in two glasses of red wine and let it bubblreduce by a third, maybe half, depends on how well your spuds are getting on.

Turn heat down and tip in crushed garlic, tbsp of paprika, 2 tbsp mixed herbs and a good few splashes of Worcestershire sauce. Give it a good stir. Season with salt & pepper.

Pop a lid over the pan (or tin foil) and leave for 30 mins. Best to give a stir every 10 mins to stop spuds sticking to pan.

After 30 mins check spuds, if they’re tender then make indentations either side of the pan and pour in eggs. Cover back up. If spuds aren’t cooked then give it another 10 before adding eggs.

Once done take off the heat and tip grated cheese over the top. Either let it melt or pop it under grill to melt it.

Done - secret ingredient is the garlic powder. Keep adding more if it doesn’t taste right!

Enjoy it :p

Soldato
OP
I've become obsessed with Japanese Oyakodon recently! Basically just chicken and eggs fried up in Dachi stock, soy sauce and Mirin. So easy to make and relatively cheap once you got the pantry stuff in. Absolutely delicious too if you're a fan of that Japanese sweet on savoury type thing.
My son loves this sort of thing! If you have any recipes or something I could look at I'd love to make it with him! Thanks!

taB

taB

Associate
@randomshenans Get yourself a month sub for this. Just gave my Dad a year's worth for his birthday. Michelin Star chef Paul Foster from Salt. Met him a couple of times many years ago and always came across as a sound bloke. It's brand new but he's adding to it quickly as he's in tier 3 and can't open...

https://www.salt-masterclass.com/

Has an excellent podcast too. It's mostly about how **** Tripadvisor is. https://podtail.com/en/podcast/the-nightcap/

This is from an email I got today:
How are you getting on with the Masterclass videos? I hope you have seen the two new ones I added last week. "How to prepare an oyster with two great servings" and also a slightly more advanced pasta dish of "Goats curd agnolotti".

Permabanned
My son loves this sort of thing! If you have any recipes or something I could look at I'd love to make it with him! Thanks!

Happy to mate! I'll just write it out :)

Ingredients for one person:

Sliced chicken thigh (can use breast if you'd prefer but the texture of thigh is nicer imo)

2 tablespoons light soy sauce (you can use any but light I find is a touch sweeter)

1-2 tbsps of Mirin (can use sake if you prefer)

1/2 - 1 tsp of Dashi stock powder (the more you use the deeper the kelp taste)

1/2 tsp of sugar

1-2 tbsps of water

Regular white or spring onion, whichever you prefer in whatever quantities you want cut in whatever fashion you like.

A cup of pre cooked rice

1 egg

You can buy Oyakodon specific pans but really as small a frying pan as you can get will be fine. You want the base to be as small as the width of the bowl you'll be serving it in.

Whack everything but the rice and the egg into the pan and bring to a slow calm boil. Essentially you just want to go until the chicken is cooked and the stock and sugar are combined nicely.

Whisk your egg and then pour into the pan and leave it to set. Traditionally you barely cook the egg at all, but I prefer mine to be relatively well set so it binds everything together nicely. It's purely preference.

Once this is done just slide the whole thing out onto your bed of rice. It's as simple as that! You can garnish it with whatever you prefer, I like spring onions and a few chilli flakes.

If you can't find Dashi stock then you could use any, but really it's what gives the dish it's distinct taste. It's not especially fishy either despite the ingredients. I wouldn't make it without it but it really is up to you. Can get it off Amazon relatively cheap.

Soldato
Juevos Rotos

1 onion,diced.
1 red pepper, diced.
3 potatoes, diced.
1 chorizo, cut into 1cm slices.
Eggs, one per person.
4 cloves garlic, crushed.
Garlic powder.
Grated cheese.
Mixed herbs.
Worcestershire sauce.
Red wine.
Paprika (smoked if possible).
Salt & pepper.

Fry the onions and peppers in olive oil for a few minutes until onion goes translucent.

Add the chorizo and fry until it releases it oils into the pan.

Once that happens tip in the cubed potatoes and stir - the chorizo oil should coat them all.

Pour in two glasses of red wine and let it bubblreduce by a third, maybe half, depends on how well your spuds are getting on.

Turn heat down and tip in crushed garlic, tbsp of paprika, 2 tbsp mixed herbs and a good few splashes of Worcestershire sauce. Give it a good stir. Season with salt & pepper.

Pop a lid over the pan (or tin foil) and leave for 30 mins. Best to give a stir every 10 mins to stop spuds sticking to pan.

After 30 mins check spuds, if they’re tender then make indentations either side of the pan and pour in eggs. Cover back up. If spuds aren’t cooked then give it another 10 before adding eggs.

Once done take off the heat and tip grated cheese over the top. Either let it melt or pop it under grill to melt it.

Done - secret ingredient is the garlic powder. Keep adding more if it doesn’t taste right!

Enjoy it :p

I do a simpler variation for brunch.

In a big saucepan, fry some chorizo slices until golden and the oil comes out. Remove from pan.
Chuck in some chopped onions and garlic and fry in the chorizo oil.
Chuck a few decent sized roughly diced tomatoes in.
Add chorizo again.
Season with whatever, smoked paprika, chilli flakes, fresh chilli, plenty salt and pepper, some nice sharp mature cheddar maybe...mix together.
Make 4 wells in the mixture, crack a egg into each one.
Put a lid on the pan and cook for a few minutes until the eggs are done to your liking (not solid you monster :mad:)
Chuck on a plate, serve with a bit of crusty bread or toast to dunk.

Nom.

Associate
I do a simpler variation for brunch.

In a big saucepan, fry some chorizo slices until golden and the oil comes out. Remove from pan.
Chuck in some chopped onions and garlic and fry in the chorizo oil.
Chuck a few decent sized roughly diced tomatoes in.
Add chorizo again.
Season with whatever, smoked paprika, chilli flakes, fresh chilli, plenty salt and pepper, some nice sharp mature cheddar maybe...mix together.
Make 4 wells in the mixture, crack a egg into each one.
Put a lid on the pan and cook for a few minutes until the eggs are done to your liking (not solid you monster :mad:)
Chuck on a plate, serve with a bit of crusty bread or toast to dunk.

Nom.

Sounds a bit of orite that does :D

And my eggs don't come out solid! :p

Soldato
watched some excerpts - (nostalga) thought we were gong to see the cornucopia of food in a carrefour, say, versus UK offerings,
result looked good .. maybe more thickening.
Cooks eye view, good, could be developed as a filming style, with body cam, negative - the appropriation of the Jamie Oliver vocabulary

raclette - heavy duty apres-ski food , but if you have snow like the uk does today

Devilled kidneys is a life long favourite - de-core/dice part-fry/keep-warm, sweat-onions+stock+sherry/tabasco, deglaze/thicken, add sliced mushrooms, cook,
re-add kidneys, warm through, serve on rice.

Back
Top Bottom