Spec my buddy a noob car...

Soldato
He wants to learn to drive and he likes cars a lot (he's obsessed with expensive cars, particularly Audi) but he wants a beginner car. He's said that his limit is about 4k including insurance and he hasn't passed his test yet...

Has anyone got any advice other than my 'buy a bucket with cheap insurance, then get a decetn car after a year'...

Soldato
Its not a car, but the advice i give is to do the pass plus course, can knock a lot of money off the insurance so thats more towards a car!

Associate
My sister got a 53 VW polo last year for £5k. Nice and tidy, nice runner, better than a piece of poo for £50. Oh and insurance is cheap.

Soldato
dont spend,it all! theres no need to buy a shed, but something a bit cheaper, get a years NCB then spend a little more on something a bit quicker that you will actually like, that isnt an option now because of insurance. Something like a 1.25 fiesta zetec could be piked up cheap, not a bad car should leave him a fair wad of change.

Soldato
saitrix said:
How about a Mondeo? Can get the 2.0 Ghia X for that money with insurance aswell.
I wouldn't of liked to of learnt to drive in my 2.0 Ghia X.

I would say get a **** car to learn in then once you have passed get something a little better.

No point having a car on the drive depreciating away that you cannot even use.

Soldato
Tesla said:
I wouldn't of liked to of learnt to drive in my 2.0 Ghia X.

can i ask why that is fella? They are not difficult to drive :s My instructor used a fiesta, but ive moved into a 2L mondeo now and the difference is negligible really in difficulty, but its a damnsite nicer.

Tom.

Caporegime
saitrix said:
Tesla, why?

I know someone who in their lessons they drove the instructors 1.2 Corsa, then out of lessons drove a 2.0 Passat. He had no problems at all.

I think its good to get into a big car asap get used to them.

BTW yep i do have high res pic will msn them tonight ;)

Soldato
I just think the size and "power" would put off most newbie's.

The first thing most friends say to me "wow your car is so big".

I don't think it's big, and I certainly have no issues with driving and manouvering my estate. However, I'm sure many people would. (Probably not the sort of people who post in here though).

Soldato
No offence but the power isnt that much. :p You don't have to use it all, like i learnt in a 2.0 HDi 307 with 136bhp and 320Nm. It just meant i had effortless power for me. I really think a new driver will be fine with a Mondeo, it isnt a big car afterall really.

Soldato
I think an ideal car for a learner driver would be a car with cheap insurance, a bit of poke but not too much, not too small and not too big bit with lots of visibility.

If a car has a lot of blind spots it can hinder a learner driver

I'd personally look at a Rover 25. Cheap to buy, not that big, easy to drive and unrestricted visibility

Soldato
cleanbluesky said:
He wants to learn to drive and he likes cars a lot (he's obsessed with expensive cars, particularly Audi) but he wants a beginner car. He's said that his limit is about 4k including insurance and he hasn't passed his test yet...

Has anyone got any advice other than my 'buy a bucket with cheap insurance, then get a decetn car after a year'...

How old is this friend... this will make a big difference on the insurance budget.

Gangster
Permabanned
first he needs to pass his driving test. then afterwards he should buy a reasonably cheap car, something like suggested above, fiesta 1.25. then after one year get something better. most new drivers will have a few bumps and scrapes, so best not to buy something too good.
another important thing though... HOW OLD IS HE?

Back
Top Bottom