Spec us a VAN!!

Man of Honour
Hi guys,

Our company has got to the point where we need a van. We need to transport more and more stuff, and a BMW M3 and BMW 330 are not the right tools for the job. They're obviously great for our everyday driving about, but not when we have small labour jobs to do.

So, we're looking at getting a van. Something Transit/Transporter sized I guess.

Any suggestions?! Would like something with a little bit of poke, and little bit of comfort, but we don't really want to spend much at all, maybe £4k or something!

Thanks,

Mal

Soldato
When I hired a Vauxhall Vivaro I was surprised how much poke it had and how well laid out everything was.

I guess if you're used to an M3 though you might have a different impression of 'poke'.

Soldato
Transporter T5, get a 1.9TDI so its nice n cheap to buy. Might get one for around £4k.. If not just get a 2.5TDI T4 Transporter. Loads of them around! Comfy to drive, reliable and dont rust from new! :p

Soldato
I've not driven a transporter but i have driven it's baby brother a caddy, which was a good drive, easily enough power behind it (2.0tdi), quite a punchy little engine. It basically drove like a car.
Transits aren't bad but they do drive much much different. I've driven a connect 1.8tdi and a LWB 2.5 diesel. Both drive more like vans (especially not surprisingly the lwb) and have much less power to offer. They're good vans nonetheless, won't let you down and well thought out.

Test drive a transporter and a transit, see what you prefer, they're both good choices.

Associate
Make sure if you get the Mercedes its Post 2004 as the ones from late 90's to then rust like buggers. :(

As mentinoed above in that size of van you'd be hard pressed to beat either a VW Transporter T5 or a Vuaxhall Vivaro (Renault Traffic is basically a Vivaro too so if one of those comes up cheaper go for it!). Modern vans with nice interiors, around 100-120bhp which means they are comfortable on the motorway up to 100. You'l be able to find examples with full electric packs and aircon for the same money as one without so shop around. If you don't need immediate access to the rear get one with a full steel bulkhead, it will cut down on the road noise massively in the cab.

Soldato
Transporter T5, get a 1.9TDI so its nice n cheap to buy. Might get one for around £4k.. If not just get a 2.5TDI T4 Transporter. Loads of them around! Comfy to drive, reliable and dont rust from new! :p

the transporters hold value really well, youll not be able to get a new good example for 4k! an older higher mileage one yea, I have had mine for nearly two years done 75k in it and all thats gone wrong is the alternator so from my experience a bloody good buy!

Soldato
Transit.
Dont bother with sprinters, they are stupidly expensive, very thirsty, not all that reliable, they eat tyres, and the turbos are made of cheese.

Associate

GT3

GT3

Soldato
Transit.
Dont bother with sprinters, they are stupidly expensive, very thirsty, not all that reliable, they eat tyres, and the turbos are made of cheese.

^ what he said.

My friend drives a 100 bhp 2.5 transit 54 plate with 130k on. He drives it like he stole it everywhere and from cold. Apart from an idle control valve it's never had any work other than consumables needed doing to it.

I drive a 110bhp 58 plate sprinter with 26k on it. Everything has broke on it most notably the gearbox (lost 5th&6th, jumps out of 1st, grinds into 3rd etc), diff has dropped most its oil and is noisy, door checkstraps snapped, electronic steering lock jams so have to hang off the wheel, passenger door mechanism broke and all the wires dangle out the bottom. And ontop of all this it gets horrific mpg considering its such a newer engine than the old rattly engine in my mates transit.

However having driven previous shape sprinters (01>06 iirc) I thought these stood up to more abuse. And have a 5spd box so you aren't changing gear every 2 seconds just to get moving.

Soldato
Get a pre 03 plate sprinter dont bother with the newer ones they are not as good, there is a reason why most pre 03 spinters cost a bit and still for sale with well over 200K miles on them, after 03 they changed things on the engine for the worse.

Soldato
VW LT/Crafter might be worth a look they share a lot with the Sprinter. However German vans are very expensive used and a Sprinter sounds a bit big for your needs.

In the bracket you're looking at I'd probably be looking at the Vauxhall Vivaro\Renault Trafic (I think it was also sold by Nissan), they seem to me the most modern vehicle in you size and price bracket. It's probably too small but loads of people like the Transit Connect.

Back
Top Bottom