Specsavers Glasses. Real difference in quality v price?

Soldato
My 2 year eye test is tomorrow and I suspect I'll need new glasses. Last time I spent £125 on the 2 for 1 offer with Specsavers (designer range) and the glasses were awful quality and fell apart after about 4 months. I did get the frames replaced for free but they fell apart... Again. Not to my own doing either, they just started to become really lose over time and stopped fitting properly.

My question is, is their much of a difference between the 2 for £69 range and the £125 designer range with Specsavers? Do you really only pay for the brand name on the glasses?

Any opinions appreciated. :)

Soldato
I have 2 pairs of the 'Toby' £69 ones and they're just as good quality as the Ray Ban pair I had before. Saying that I did manage to break one pair, but that was entirely my fault :p

Caporegime
The designer ones aren't even designed by that designer.

The "designer" actually just licenses the use of their name on glasses which are designed and made by Specsavers or their suppliers.

Can't type for toffee
Don
Get a copy of yer prescription, make sure you get the PD (Pupil distance also).
Try some frames on in the store (for the correct size)
Note down the sizes/style you like (sizes will be on one of the arms e.g 55-17-135)
Order online
Profit

I got 2 pairs of jeff banks one from I think specsforless for ~£50 Boots wanted around £130

Soldato
ive had about 12-14 pairs of branded glasses from specsavers, they were all ****e quality apart from a pair of FCUK ones, red or dead ones and a pair of quick silver sunglasses.

they are all made in the same place though, so its only a matter of luck that these ones have lasted. I just get which ever ones i like the look of, regardless of the name thats on them

Soldato
Buy Oliver Peoples frames if you want something durable. Moreover, you can raise your **** status significantly.

I can just see you in these:

oppeck.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Sexy! Cheers for the tips guys.

I remember when I asked for my PD from Specsavers before, they wanted £10 before they were willing to tell me!

Soldato
The designer ones aren't even designed by that designer.

The "designer" actually just licenses the use of their name on glasses which are designed and made by Specsavers or their suppliers.

Incorrect, the designers design the glasses along side Specsavers.

they are all made in the same place though, so its only a matter of luck that these ones have lasted. I just get which ever ones i like the look of, regardless of the name thats on them

Incorrect again I'm afraid.

Specsavers have multiple labs around the globe that make their glasses / lenses.

Source: I work at Specsavers :D

Now I am going to be bias as I work for Specsavers but I have gone to other opticians before I started working at Specsavers and I can assure you that the quality is identical.

The thing that separates Specsavers from the rest is the service that you get and the savings that you get.

The difference between the ranges is minor.

I have one designer pair and a Specsavers pair and I wear the Specsavers pair more!

Soldato
I've had a lot of glasses from SpecSavers, I also tried vision express and Costco. From my experience SpecSavers are the best, their lenses are excellent for the price, mine would be very thick so I pay for the thinnest.

My last pair of glasses were from SpecSavers and easily lasted over 2 years, they never got loose or had any problems, except the anti reflective coating started to wear away, though I did clean them daily and they got scratched a bit.

Soldato
any reputable ones you could link to?

Their specs always seems fine to me, similar in quality to the other high street brands I've bought from.

I've obviously never been active enough with the specs to have them fall apart on me.

Associate
I had serious trouble getting my eyes examined properly. Yeah, examined... So i suspect that SpecSavers wouldnt be able to get a proper prescription for me for any price :D

I have a weird form of astigmatism and it took 15-20 or so opticians to figure it out. And the ones that actually figured it out were independents in a small'ish village. They also had me rechecked three times just to see if i'm not telling porkies... THEN my glasses cost me 300 quid because no one in UK can make these lenses for cheap enough, had to be sent off to France...

I cant comment on SpecSavers, but i doubt a branded chain can do anything in certain situations...

P.S. No, i dont wear fishbowl glasses... :D

Soldato
OP
Got my new prescription today and wow... My eyes hurt with the new glasses on!

Is this normal? Bearing in mind my last prescription was worn for 2 years.

How long is the eye pain expected to last with a new prescription?

Soldato
Got my new prescription today and wow... My eyes hurt with the new glasses on!

Is this normal? Bearing in mind my last prescription was worn for 2 years.

How long is the eye pain expected to last with a new prescription?

Been wearing glasses since I was 4 (well just under), nigh on 30 now and it still takes me a few days to get used to new glasses. It's totally normal and isn't doing any harm long-term. If they still hurt by Monday go back though.

Back
Top Bottom