Specsavers Glasses. Real difference in quality v price?

OP: My parents used to go to Specsavers until one day they tried a local independent optician, who said that the centre of the frames were quite a way off from where they needed to be in front of the eye. Recently I went into Specsavers and had to explain to the dopey (but quite attractive) girl what my prescription meant, yet all I had done is read the box. Obviously the optician is qualified but the shop assistants have no background knowledge.
I find that when I wear my glasses for a long period of time I get headaches as the arms are squeezing my head. Mine were from Specsavers 3 years ago and I think for my next set of glasses I will get a paid that actually fit my face/head properly.

Conclusion: Specsavers are the Kwikfit of the eyesight market. I bet if you get glasses fitted elsewhere you will find that you do not get any issues. You need someone fitting your glasses who knows/cares about what they are doing as it is you who must wear them all day every day :).

Last edited:
Associate
Got my new prescription today and wow... My eyes hurt with the new glasses on!

Is this normal? Bearing in mind my last prescription was worn for 2 years.

How long is the eye pain expected to last with a new prescription?

Did you opt for thinned lenses where you hadn't with your last pair? As I did and had a lot of discomfort around my eyes. It turned out that my previous lenses where shaved down to be thinner rather than being the thin lenses that specsavers sell. After a week of trying to get used to them I got a refund and went back to my previous lenses.

Soldato
I've had "designer" glasses a few times from Glasses Direct. Much cheaper than the high street places. Only problem is a couple of times I've had to adjust the nose cushions to stop them sliding down my nose as they arrived wonky.

The 2 for 1 Specsaver deals are a load of bull as the extras like thin lenses and sun reactions etc are not included in the "free" second pair.

Independent opticians are best for full eye examinations.

Last edited:
Soldato
A bit of a thread hijack, anyone know any companies who are good and cheap on reading glasses? Don't need proper prescription ones, just like those ones you can buy at supermarkets.

Soldato
OP
Been wearing glasses since I was 4 (well just under), nigh on 30 now and it still takes me a few days to get used to new glasses. It's totally normal and isn't doing any harm long-term. If they still hurt by Monday go back though.

Cheers yeah will keep an eye :)p) on it.

The person who fitted them said it will feel a little strange at first but didn't mention any eye pain. Hope it doesn't last to long though, it's really uncomfortable.

Soldato
Actually I took my script to Tesco last time to try out. Couldn't be more pleased with the results if I'm to be honest.

£120 for 2 pairs complete with thin lenses and nice light titanium frames(distance and computer work scripts). A hell of a lot cheaper than the high street for virtually the same product

EDIT:// Oooo errrr Just had a look on their website and prices it looks like I capitalised on a BOGOF offer :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
2nd day wearing my prescription now. Yesterday I got a really bad headache because of it, had to take some pain killers. Today isn't as bad, my eyes are still hurting a little bit through. Really not sure if it's worth waiting till the end of the week to see if it improves any.

Associate
easiest way of getting the info you want is to get chatting to the optician, and say "so what does this bit of my prescription mean" etc.. and you get it all on a plate :p

Associate
I like that they're still a family business.
Not had any problems or pain. I also picked up a couple of pairs of nice frames last week which happened to be Gok Wan.

..dragged the missus straight into a few department stores for a complete makeover and style advice. :D

Soldato
I don't have a problem with Specsavers other than the price! I went to one of the internet suppliers and got a pair for £17 + coatings (anti-scratch, UV) and were ridiculously cheap. Really good quality frames too.

Associate
Go back and make sure they have made them correctly!

I had a pair made from Vision Express and the prescription was totally wrong, made me feel like one of my eyes was trying to turn around itself.

Back
Top Bottom