Speed limit signage query

Soldato
Strange one please was driving through Stanford Le Hope earlier and a whole stretch of previously 50 limit has signs all along stating new 30 limit but as follows:

Regular red signs with white letters - stating NEW 30MPH LIMIT IN FORCE and yellow signs stating something like SPEED LIMIT IN FORCE FOR SSFETY REASONS

No circular 30 mph signs anywhere along whole of 1-2 miles

kept to "speed limit" anyway unlike most other drivers but wondered what the enforceable limit is please am I right in thinking these might be advisory only ?

In past where seen this just been yellow signs not yellow and red signs

Soldato
I would say it's an enforceable 30 now and that's just temporary signage while they get round to installing the usual round 30 mph signs

Like here

http://b31.org.uk/2018/06/signs-rep...-speed-limit-changes-on-northfield-main-road/

Work began yesterday (5 June) to install new speed limit signs as well as temporary red and white signs advising of the new speed limit (‘new 30mph speed limit in force’). Once all new signage is in place, the old, redundant signage can be removed

The temporary red and white signs advising of the new speed limit will be uncovered once the new speed limits come into force

Soldato
We had a similar confusing one locally where workers put up temporary 40mph signs, but didn't cover up or remove the NSL ones. So some people were going 60 and some 40.

It sat like that for months with no actual work being done or barriers set up (just random signs). Then they closed the whole road for re-surfacing :confused:

Soldato
There's a road on one of my work routes. Upon entering the road there's a normal sized 30 sign however for the following mile there are the small repeaters stating 20.

I've tried clarifying with the council and even they have no idea what the limit should be :/

Man of Honour
Strange one please was driving through Stanford Le Hope earlier and a whole stretch of previously 50 limit has signs all along stating new 30 limit but as follows:

Regular red signs with white letters - stating NEW 30MPH LIMIT IN FORCE and yellow signs stating something like SPEED LIMIT IN FORCE FOR SSFETY REASONS

No circular 30 mph signs anywhere along whole of 1-2 miles

kept to "speed limit" anyway unlike most other drivers but wondered what the enforceable limit is please am I right in thinking these might be advisory only ?

In past where seen this just been yellow signs not yellow and red signs

Are the 50 signs still up?

Associate
Built up area with street lamps and no speed limit repeaters = 30mph.

They did something similar here. Warnings at either end of the road and removal of the 40mph repeaters.

Associate
Because 30MPH doesn't need any signs if there are more than 2 streetlamps. The only 30 sign required is on entry to the 30 zone, which could be miles away.
It is good practice of them to put up these temporary signs because often people may notice new signs, but not the old repeaters disappearing.

Back
Top Bottom