Speed limiters to be fitted to all vehicles

Soldato
But it says they (the EU) eventually want to make it something which can't be turned off.

Oh yea and you'll be GPS tracked as well. So they can harvest data and sell it.

Soldato
Some people like to drive fast on private land, or abroad where the limit is higher. What if they want to raise the limit to 80mph again like they have said before?
What if you need to get out of an area quickly due to a disaster or some such?

Maybe but it's all programmable surely nowadays? It's not like a mechanical speedo?

A truck isn't allowed to speed up to avoid disaster - you simply look and stop if you see something dangerous.

Private land is only a problem if you can afford to have enough to break the speed limit on. If you can afford that much land you can afford a track car. ;)

Man of Honour
If the speed limit set is stupid, that needs addressing differently.

I agree with this but it's very hard - intact the reason I love my speed limiter/display so much is that the days of being able to just know the speed limit without constantly watching for signs are over. There are more and more NSL roads being reclassified to lower speed limits not to mention more and more originally higher speed dual carraigeways being set to 50, 40 and even 30mph.

Soldato
this is gonna be great "sir you were doing 100 in a 30"

"well i had the foot flat to the mat, the limiter takes care of the rest"

"you know that doesn't work all the time?"

"uhh it doesn't?"

Caporegime
Speed limiters have worked well in trucks for years, I'm just surprised it's taken this long to get applied to cars, it's going to happen ultimately, and the joy of motoring will eventually die with it, they'll find some other way of extracting money from us once speed cameras are made obsolete, be sure of that one!

But, as I say, frankly I'm amazed this isn't already the norm.

Soldato
So when you go to overtake someone doing 40 in a 60 and in a moderately fast car you hit 60 when you pass them the car will just cut out? Seems dangerous to me, lorries don't do much overtaking so not an issue with them but with cars i can see it being a problem. I also don't agree that mega speeds kills (on a motorway, if your doing 50 in a 30 you should lose your licence).

Soldato
So when you go to overtake someone doing 40 in a 60 and in a moderately fast car you hit 60 when you pass them the car will just cut out? Seems dangerous to me, lorries don't do much overtaking so not an issue with them but with cars i can see it being a problem. I also don't agree that mega speeds kills (on a motorway, if your doing 50 in a 30 you should lose your licence).

It IS dangerous, which is why they don't do it. You'd get boxed in on the wrong side of the road if they decide to speed up as your overtaking them (which is something I see quite often :\).

The figures for accidents cause by "speeding" are a massively fudged I think. Saying this will save 25,000 lives seems a bit of a wild claim. But the "road safety" lot are quite loud and obsessed with speed.

Last edited:
Needs to have a KERs button or something similar.

Technically your not allowed to speed to overtake today, yes we all do it, within reason I am sure we all keep the go pedal mashed down when overtaking.

Had it a few weeks ago, guy driving along at 45, 60 limit, 30 limit no issue, 45 it was
When I overtook him he then suddenly wanted to go much faster. He wasn't keeping up down the NSL, but was flying through the villages afterwards and sitting inches off my rear end (I tend to follow the speed limits pretty religiously in rural villages)
I honestly think people consider it a challenge to their masculinity being overtaken

FTM

FTM

Soldato
it would have to be optional...what happens if you drove to germany in your uk car...you couldnt be limited on an unlimited road

or you might use your car for track days

just means a huge market would open up for illegal switchable mods

Man of Honour
What happens when some clown puts fake 30mph signs up on motorways, or how can the system tell if an NSL sign is for a 60 or 70mph section?

You can't rely solely on GPS and a visual sign check is open to abuse.

Soldato
What happens when some clown puts fake 30mph signs up on motorways, or how can the system tell if an NSL sign is for a 60 or 70mph section?

You can't rely solely on GPS and a visual sign check is open to abuse.

Or NSL outside a school.

Problem with technology is it can easily be fooled.

Soldato
OP
As a Trucker (who drove trucks before the limiters were introduced) You have to use a completely different mindset.

On a hill where naturally a higher powered truck (or lighter) won't slow down as much you have to think "Can I complete the overtake and pull in leaving the other driver with enough braking distance before they return to cruise speed" ?

Our trucks now are nigh on 500 BHP but when diverted onto 2 way A roads I think..

"Wow, I used to overtake other freighted trucks just here in a little 290 ERF"

I must've been either been a complete T*** or was confident I could "Boss Him" (not many female truckers back then) Probably a smidgen of twattedness to be honest but no-one ever crashed (I wasn't the only one who did that there).

I wouldn't dream of doing that now in our VASTLY more powerful trucks because if he did get the ******** you WOULD be left high & dry and there are plenty of so called professionals that would actually do that to make some kind of weird point !

Back
Top Bottom