Spending money in Turkey..which currency?

Soldato
Evenin'

I'm off to Turkey with the gf on 5th Oct and was just wondering what currency people recommend taking? I've read contradicting advice and am a bit confused now; some places saying Lira, some Euros, some Dollars..very helpful!

In peoples experiences what is the best to go with?

Cheers,
Andy

Man of Honour
You can literally spend almost anything in Turkey. The Lira can be a pain as it fluctuates, in the main resorts Euros or Pounds should be okay.

Remember your £10 note to get in.

Associate
I just got back from Turkey. I failed to find anywhere that wouldn't take Sterling, Lira, Euros or Dollars, and some market stalls and small shops will even trade for cigarettes.

Associate
Got back a week ago, I took Lira but I recommend Euro and most of them use it and never had any change in Lira.

Take £10 note for airport.

Haggle in shops, they over price everything.

Associate
depends on where youre going, all the big tourist traps will happily take euros (but expect an abysmal exchange rate) but when i was in Istanbul in Apr it was much easier just to stick with Lira, lots of places didnt want other currencys.

In the old days when the notes had all the 0's on them then it was pretty much euros/dollars/sterling all the way, now theyve sorted their finances out its generally easier just to stick with lira.

And defenitly make sure youve got the £10 notes, they wont even accept a £20 if there is 2 of you.

Back
Top Bottom