Spent two to three days in Edinburgh - ** Here's my video **

Commissario
/edit - I've been, scroll down to post #45 to see my short video.

Hi folks.

I'm looking at spending a few days in Edinburgh next week, Tuesday to Friday. I've been to Edinburgh many times before but it's always been either with work or to meet up with friends for a couple of evenings out.

If I do this, it'll be the first time I've done it entirely with a tourist hat on. I'll be going by myself.

/edit - I'm booked into the ibis Edinburgh Centre South Bridge - Royal Mile now.

I'll be arriving mid morning on Tuesday and leaving on the final flight on Friday so I'll effectively have two full days (Wednesday and Thursday) and two half days (Tuesday and Friday) to kill.

I'm also looking for things to do.

What should I be doing, where should I be going? The only places I absolutely want to do are the Castle and go up to Arthur's Seat. I've done Mary King's Close before but would be happy to go there again (or anywhere similar). I know that when anyone posts a thread about Edinburgh I always suggest the deli on Cockburn street for a haggis samosa so if it's still there, I'll be doing that ;)

Over to you, OcUK.

Last edited:
Soldato
go on the open top bus tour - not as rubbish as it sounds! I did it after living there for two years with some friends visiting and it was much better than expected.
Whisky experience on the royal mile is worth a visit...
depends what you're into tbh

Commissario
OP
go on the open top bus tour - not as rubbish as it sounds! I did it after living there for two years with some friends visiting and it was much better than expected.
Whisky experience on the royal mile is worth a visit...
depends what you're into tbh
I really enjoyed the Royal yacht tour. Really isn't my sort of thing but really enjoyed it and very insightful.
Thanks - Sounds like a plan to me. In fact, I've been looking at the 48 hour pass for £52 which includes entry to the castle, the yacht and the palace of Holyroodhouse as well as the bus tours.

Go to dishoom for breakfast and order a sausage naan - absolutely amazing!
Exactly the sort of advice I'm after, thanks. I was wondering whether to book breakfast in whatever hotel I end up in but I reckon going out for brekkers is probably a decent idea.

Associate
Just a joke, don't bother looking into it :p

Definitely do climb up Arthur Seat. Calton Hill is worth a walk up to as well. Edinburgh is good in that most places are in walking distance and public transport is also very good if you want to go somewhere further out of City Centre.

National Museum of Scotland has recently been refurbed and is worth checking out. The new Avengers movie is also currently being filmed in Edinburgh causing some disruption around the Royal Mile area but nothing too bad.

Brass Monkey and Brauhaus are popular pubs. La Favorita do really nice Italian pizza. Mosque Kitchen is also very good and cheap.

Man of Honour
Agreed on Arthur's seat - that was great.

I stayed in a small guesthouse called Six Brunton Place - it was very nice and cosy, had a fireplace on the evening. Not too far out of the way. Check it out on trip advisor. More of a guesthouse with a personal touch opposed to a slightly more anonymous hotel, if you get my drift. The breakfast was fab and the owner was very helpful. Not sure they'd have availability now though.

A bit random but I did enjoy the ghost tour I did in the evening with the journey down into the crypts. Slight unnerving being the person at the back (in the last group for the day) and having to blow out all the candles as we left each room :eek:

Soldato
For drinks: Panda & Sons, Bramble or Dragonfly for a cocktail. Panda and Sons is quite a cool speakeasy affair.
The Guildford Arms is my favourite place for an ale.
Scran and Scallie for dinner. It's a bistropub owned by Tom Kitchin. Really good and reasonable money.
Get to Ghillie Duh one night and join in the celidih. Great fun, and they teach you the dances if you don't know them. Walking distance from Panda and Sons as well!

Associate
I really enjoyed the ghoast walk a friend and i did. It only took about an hour and ended in the pub but it was really good fun. The host was excellent at creating atmosphere and bringing the royal mile and old town of old back to life. Would highly recommend it

Back
Top Bottom