Spiderman Sony\Marvel "fallout"

Caporegime
https://uk.ign.com/articles/2019/08...mcu-marvel-sony-cant-reach-deal?sf107511944=1

A dispute at the top levels of both companies has essentially resulted in Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige being nixed from future Spider-Man projects, according to Deadline. Disney had asked for a 50/50 co-financing agreement between the two studios on future Spider-Man films. Again according to Deadline's sources, Sony turned that offer down. Sony proposed keeping the arrangement similar to the terms that dictated the first two Spider-Man MCU films, such that Disney would only receive 5 percent of first dollar gross. Disney refused that deal.

Wonder what that means for future movies, you'd think Sony would be happy with the success these movies are having with Marvels contributions. All about the $$$ though.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Sounds like Marvel had to literally bend over to get spiderman back into where it belongs and sony got the all the cake and ate it.

Not shocked marvel asked for 50/50 at least, but I won't be surprised if Sony know feel spiderman is big enough to get 1 billion without the marvel and Avengers which it very well may in future films.

Sad times if they can't hash out a deal properly.

Caporegime
Sony finally involved in some good superhero movies? Of course they'll find a way to **** it up. You'd think Sony would realise that without Marvel's involvement they end up with crap like Venom.

Soldato
Sony got 95% of all the profits and it didn’t even make it?! Whoever made that deal for Sony should get a raise.
I'm guessing its the same,muppet who thought he would get the same deal again. Thats one way to kill an ip. Who is going to see a Spidy film now?. Isn't it a case if they don't use the up every so many years it lapses?. Maybe marvel can just wait them out.

Associate
Think when Sony grabbed the ability to make Spider-Man stuff a while back (license), they managed to wrangle a better deal than we realise in terms of what they can and can't do. And Sony doesn't have to just work the current Holland/Parker Spider-Man either, they can work any of the other Spidey characters and still keep the Spider-Man license that way. So waiting them out likely isn't an option.

But, assuming this is like the Henry Cavill situation, where the "leak" of him having left role of Superman was used as a bargaining chip because the negotiations weren't progressing well or at all (well, I certainly "hope" so anyway :p :D). Then this could just be Sony trying to get Disney back to the table and to reduce the % that they want for Spider-Man access. If it's not, someone at Sony needs to be removed asap, because I've seen what happens to potentially good direction get thrown away for no good reason (Tsujihara :mad::mad::mad:, JL now 1 film and 2 hours max my ***).

Soldato
Spiderman films are usually crap hope it dies and they invent a new character, all the millions they throw at buying names they should spend on writers. I know iron man, and many others were from comics but I had never heard of them and still rushed to see the films. Or is it than modern writers cannot invent anything any more?

Soldato
Think when Sony grabbed the ability to make Spider-Man stuff a while back (license), they managed to wrangle a better deal than we realise in terms of what they can and can't do. And Sony doesn't have to just work the current Holland/Parker Spider-Man either, they can work any of the other Spidey characters and still keep the Spider-Man license that way. So waiting them out likely isn't an option.

But, assuming this is like the Henry Cavill situation, where the "leak" of him having left role of Superman was used as a bargaining chip because the negotiations weren't progressing well or at all (well, I certainly "hope" so anyway :p :D). Then this could just be Sony trying to get Disney back to the table and to reduce the % that they want for Spider-Man access. If it's not, someone at Sony needs to be removed asap, because I've seen what happens to potentially good direction get thrown away for no good reason (Tsujihara :mad::mad::mad:, JL now 1 film and 2 hours max my ***).

i'm amazed sony pictures hasn't gone out of business or at least had everyone sacked and started again - they consistently lose huge amounts of money making garbage films.

Associate
Sony probably funds/sponsor a lot of movies for using their technology so I highly doubt they will ever go out of business, seems greedy higher ups on both side can't come to an agreement.
I hope Sony doesn't do another reboot though, Tom Holland is technically under contract with Sony with upcoming Uncharted movie so..hopefully he will continue to work with Sony at least and be Spiderman no matter what type of "Spiderman" film Sony comes up with.

Associate
How is this Sony's fault. I don't get the issue. Marvel was in trouble and sold the rights. Tough. Now the franchise is worth a fortune again they want 50/50? No chance, pay up and buy them out Sony hold all the cards. How is this Sony greed and not Disney greed?

Soldato
How is this Sony's fault. I don't get the issue. Marvel was in trouble and sold the rights. Tough. Now the franchise is worth a fortune again they want 50/50? No chance, pay up and buy them out Sony hold all the cards. How is this Sony greed and not Disney greed?

All that aside, from a fans point of view, it would be deeply disappointing to see Spiderman removed from the MCU.

Soldato
It;s only worth a fortune again because of everything Marvel did with the character. Sony destroyed it after there second reboot, and the only reason those films exist was to keep hold of the IP. Everything Sony Entertainment touches is utter trash these days. They have been losing millions for many years now. It nothing short of amazing they are still in business as the rest of Sony must be propping it up.

Soldato
Tom Holland only has one further Spidey moive on his contract anyway. Civil War, 2 Avengers and 2 Spidey films already on a 6 film contract.

I think Holland has been good but Maguire's first 2 Spidey movies were great also. I assume Into the Spiderverse was Sony and that was really good. I'd do a couple more Miles Morales animated movies before a reboot, keep the cash coming in and give the IP time to rest.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Apparently a deal hasn't actually been done one way or another yet so there is still time to sort it all out.

Meanwhile, in other news....

hbjqbwacznh31.jpg

Associate
Tom Holland has 2 more films under the contracts apparently so we more likely see 2 more Spiderman films under Sony now instead of Disney/MCU.
We may finally see a legit Spiderman vs Venom or even Spiderman & Venom vs Carnage now, even Spiderman and Sony Morbius .

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Sony got 95% of all the profits and it didn’t even make it?! Whoever made that deal for Sony should get a raise.

Marvel's main aim was to utilise Spidey in their own Universe and unfortunately that goal seems to have went out the window. I can see why Disney/Marvel wants more share of the profits. Before MCU Spidey, Sony has had so many reboots and made so many mistakes. So only getting 5% of the profits where Marvel did all the heavy lifting and made all the creative decisions is something which was eventually going to be a problem particularly with all the success. Its just down to sheer greed on the fat cats at the top.

Soldato
Surely Sony can't make another round of Spiderman films - talk about flogging a dead horse.

At least by working with MCU allows the spiderman story to be intertwined with the other Marvel superheroes.

Back
Top Bottom