Split charge relay on a Vivaro van

Soldato
I have a 63 plate Vauxhall Vivaro fitted with a 110ah leisure battery in the back to run my work equipment from. I want to fit a split charge relay to charge up the leisure battery when driving about. However, I'm reading conflicting information as to whether I can fit one or not. Apparently Euro V vans charge their starting batteries in such a way that a SCR won't work with them. But then I read that people have successfully fitted a SCR and all's well with them.

Has anyone successfully fitted a SCR to a Euro V Vivaro or similar and/ or have any advice?

Soldato
Not an answer but I believe it's because the Vivaro like a lot of new cars varies the output of the alternator instead of it being a fixed 14-14.5v as in the past.

Soldato
OP
Not on a Vivaro specifically, but we have fit a SCR to other Euro V and a Euro VI vans without any issues.

Thanks for that hands on info. Good to know. However -

Not an answer but I believe it's because the Vivaro like a lot of new cars varies the output of the alternator instead of it being a fixed 14-14.5v as in the past.

This is what I've heard too hence my confusion. I reckon I'll just try fitting one and see how I get on.

Soldato
OP
I ended up going to an auto electrician who didn't bat an eyelid at my request. Got one fitted and the leisure battery seems to charge up fine. Certainly it's never died on me unexpectedly since I had the split charge fitted.

Back
Top Bottom