***SPOILERS!!*** Football 29 Jan -3rd Feb 2011

Soldato
As for Martinez complaining about Cesc diving (when he didn't!) the other week, how could he forget N'Zogbia actually diving in the reverse fixture to get a penalty. This is literally seconds of thought, I'm sure there's more

Associate
You followed his managerial career at all?? He defined mercenary (in manager terms) for a while, hopping from once place to the next to suit his own agenda
I was referring to his time as a player (they are different professions y'know), although point still stands as a gaffer.

He changed clubs seven times in about ten years, of which three of them were purely on his own accord while four were him either being sacked or pushed out the door. So three changes in ten years for 'personal reasons' as a manager, while Bent changes how clubs in how many years as a player? Seems fair enough to comment for me even he isn't prestine as a manager.

All this is a tangent either way, your original point which is that not all managers are hypocrites is just flat out false.

Soldato
I was referring to his time as a player (they are different professions y'know), although point still stands as a gaffer.

He changed clubs seven times in about ten years, of which three of them were purely on his own accord while four were him either being sacked or pushed out the door. So three changes in ten years for 'personal reasons' as a manager, while Bent changes how clubs in how many years as a player? Seems fair enough to comment for me even he isn't prestine as a manager.

All this is a tangent either way, your original point which is that not all managers are hypocrites is just flat out false.

Bruce has showed a lack of loyalty at times in his managerial career, as has Darren Bent in his playing career, that's fact. As you say, different times, different behaviour, since football has changed into the modern game Steve Bruce has acted like a mercernary just as Bent has.

Yeah, was a bit of an exaggeration I suppose, but you named two managers who you consider not to be hypocrits and I showed you examples of them both being hypocritical in the last few weeks (and I don't concern myself much with either manager, I'm sure there's plenty more). Whether you ignore it or not is up to you.

I stick by my idea that some managers are reported more in the press and on tv and you become more aware of them so think they're worse, who's really going to concentrate on calling Bruce a hypocrit, or Martinez a hypocrit, nobody is really interested. Call Ferguson or Wenger a hypocrit and you've got a lot of people who read it

Last edited:
Associate
Bruce has showed a lack of loyalty at times in his managerial career, as has Darren Bent in his playing career, that's fact. As you say, different times, different behaviour, since football has changed into the modern game Steve Bruce has acted like a mercernary just as Bent has.

Yeah, was a bit of an exaggeration I suppose, but you named two managers who you consider not to be hypocrits and I showed you examples of them both being hypocritical in the last few weeks (and I don't concern myself much with either manager, I'm sure there's plenty more). Whether you ignore it or not is up to you.

I stick by my idea that some managers are reported more in the press and on tv and you become more aware of them so think they're worse, who's really going to concentrate on calling Bruce a hypocrit, or Martinez a hypocrit, nobody is really interested. Call Ferguson or Wenger a hypocrit and you've got a lot of people who read it
Again, there's a difference between being a player and a manager and Bent has a far worse 'loyalty' record than Bruce even if you compare them side-by-side. Fair enough he's not a crystal-clear example of hypocracy like the showhorse for it Wenger, but I'm just showing that not all managers are 'like Wenger' as you originally put it, a point which I think you'd have a hard time proving even in the Premiership.

Martinez is normally dead-on in interviews but fair enough if he did bitch about Cesc after N'Zogbia was 'hacked' down in the box. Doesn't stop Fabregrassyknees and L'Arse being bonefied turf-polishers in general though. ;)

Soldato
Meh, in my eyes Bruce was commenting on loyalty to football clubs, in that respect there's little/no difference whether you're a manager or player, loyalty to a club is the same to both really. As I said, there will be loads of other examples these are literally off the top of my head from the last few weeks. It's impossible to not be hypocritical at times when you're constantly asked questions in varying moods at varying times throughout a career where stuff changes all the time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom