Sports Coupe ideas

Soldato
Why not get a GTR? Admittedly it'll be older and over £40k but it's better than spending £30k on a 370 surely. It'd hold its value better too.

Soldato
OP
I don't like BMW 2 or 4 series, I find that they are boring cars to look at. Fox will not like this I assume, because of his clear love of BMW's.
I don't have anything against them, I just find they are bland to look at.

A GT86 could be a decent choice, but I have read they are rather thirsty cars at only 200 bhp. I don't have a problem with a low mpg if the power is there to go with it. Maybe I'm wrong though?

A Z4 was a viable option, but I've read that they have can have various mechanical issues at 30k miles onwards.

I'd love a GT-R but I don't fancy spending over £40k. To be honest I'm shying away from wanting to spend over £35k. The main reason for new is the option for a PCP deal, I think PCP allows for a higher car cost whilst not costing too much per month.

Originally I was not a fan of PCP, but I've looked into it more and it seems that it's actually not that bad a deal. The balloon payment was always my bug at the end, but after working out what a 60 month HP loan costs and what a PCP loan costs the different is not a lot if you work out the PCP payments x 36months and then a PL for the balloon payment over 2 years (so same as the 5 years on HP), mostly due to the higher dealership contribution on the PCP deposit.

I can get a personal loan for 2.9% for £25,000. Total repayment = £26,861.40

Or I can get a PCP agreement for a £30,000-£35,000 car, but then I have to buy new.
For example PCP for £32k with a 2k deposit, and 2k dealership fund, and a 36month repayment and a final balloon for £15,000 works out at £35,326.

The monthly payments on the PL = £447 a month
The monthly payments on the PCP = £451 a month with a balloon payment which if I got a 3 year loan if I wanted to keep the car would be £434 x 36 monthly payments.

So basically a £25k car on a PL = £447 for 60months = £26861.40 total repaid
Or a £32k car on PCP with 2k from me, and 2k from dealer and then a PL for balloon payment = £451 x 36 and £434 x 36, averaging at £442.50 over 72 months. = £33,860 total repaid

The monthly payments and the cost over the car you pay back seems much and such the same now I've worked it all out.

Last edited:
Soldato
GT86 has just had a facelift so it's a slightly nicer place to sit compared to the older model, but it's a light driver's car so luxury is not at the top of the list. Good discounts can be had on them new because dealers cannot shift them but this also means the GFV on the PCP is quite low because they don't want them back. It's 200bhp but to get that power you need to be high up in the rev range, so overtaking something slow you'd need to drop from 5th to 3rd to do a decent job of it. MPG wise I used to get ~36 on an A-road 10-15 mile commute, into the low 40's on a motorway run and around 30 when having some fun on B roads. Could probably knock the dealer down to 26k for the Pro spec so if you did want a bit more power spending 2k on some exhaust + remap mods will add another ~20bhp and remove some of the torque dip in the middle of the rev range. Won't win any prizes for drag racing but I've never enjoyed roundabouts and country roads so much, and for a coupe it's quite practical.

Man of Honour
I'm surprised you thought the MX5 had poor brakes as that has always been a strong point on the previous model on road.

Soldato
The mk4 mx5 brakes aren't meant to be good, they used much lighter/more flexible calipers this time around (with weight saving as the goal) which are less effective than those on the older model by most accounts. A shame as the mk3 brakes are fantastic.

In the US and Japan you can get an option package for the mk4 that adds forged bbs wheels and a 4 pot front Brembo caliper (which also carries over onto the global cup race car), I imagine this stops well but given the decision to have this as an upgrade, it perhaps explains the weaker performance of the stock brake system. Alas, you can't order the Brembos on a UK sourced mk4 mx5, not an option that's available over here for some reason :(

Last edited:
Associate
What did you pick in the end and why?

370Z. For the rather shallow reason that in my opinion it's far and away the best looking one out of the bunch and I'm not a huge fan of turbocharged power delivery.
It's far from the perfect car - people are right when they say the interior/stereo feels old. For me though it's got all the right things in the right places, as long as I can play Spotify or whatever over the stereo I'm happy. I'm here to drive the car, if I wanted plush comfort I'd stay at home instead!

GT86 - few niggles with the handbrake position and clutch pedal (I made a thread on here), and didn't feel especially "special" when I put my foot down. I think they're nice, just wasn't my favourite.
MX-5 RF - wasn't readily available while I was looking, didn't fancy ordering one in advance (plus huge depreciation).
M235i-240i - looks boring as hell, looks the same as every other BMW, etc. I'm sure it's a "nice" car, but really not what I was looking for. Mostly only looked because I thought the M2 looked alright.
Z4M - didn't really fancy spending such a relatively large sum on an old car (I know people will laugh, especially given what I ended up buying!) also not really a BMW fan - feel they're overpriced for the "image".

Soldato
A GT86 could be a decent choice, but I have read they are rather thirsty cars at only 200 bhp. I don't have a problem with a low mpg if the power is there to go with it. Maybe I'm wrong though?

Thing about the GT86 is they aren't mega quick in a straight line, but they are really quick on a track (and it's fun to drift around). But you do have to work it, it's not point and squirt.

Last edited:
Soldato
I personally wouldn't have an MX5-RF. They have been very well received so maybe I'm not seeing what everyone else is but after driving it back to back with the soft top it loses out on the good parts of top down driving (feeling of being out in the air, sound from the exhaust) and has more of the downsides (I'm sure there was more buffeting from the RF and I barely got over 50 on my test drive). I didn't notice any issues with the brakes but I don't tend to lean on the brakes much even when pressing on. 2.0 would be a must for me despite the 1.5 being the journo's favourite.

I'd probably be looking down the GT86 route if you want a coupe.

Soldato
Mx5 will depreciate like a pig. Which is why I'm holding on to my z4c for a little longer and then will look into getting one. Not sure if RF fits my needs tho.

370z is an amazing looking car and great performer but one thing I find with the Z4 is that it's too easy to drive very fast and that I prefer smashing the nuts of a lower power car without getting to license loosing speeds.

So my next car is probably going to be lightweight, turbo or 160-200bhp na, rwd and basic with a few creature comforts to make it a decent daily. Aka AC, decent sound system and comfy seats.

Soldato
Biased opinion, but Elise? Nothing else drives remotely like it (try one!). Exciting every time you get in (if you can get in, they're a bit tight for taller or larger folk).

If not practical enough, I'd go for a GT86 but not new, you'd save a packet by getting a low interest loan on a well looked after used model. Fun to drive at legal speeds, great driving position in my view and 'enough' power.

Back
Top Bottom