Sprayed my car :) a few pics

Soldato
decided the bottom half looked really stupid grey, (yes its a rover so it looks stupid anyway ;)) so I decided to paint it, with a little help from my bro cleaned it off and sanded it down with fine wet or dry paper and sprayed it over, this is right after I sprayed it so it still looks a little matte but I am pretty pleased with it :).

Before:
Before.jpg

After:
sprayedcar2.jpg

one question though will I be able to use 2 cut after a while because I would like to give it a bit of a shine, the can said I could use rubbing compounds after 2 weeks?
Its just a shame the rest of the paintworks so crap :p

Soldato
Wow, that looks like a great match!

What paint did you use?

/Prepares for "It's a Rover, sell it" posts :p

edit... Get it debadged and fit later spec rear clusters.

Man of Honour
Remember that compared to spraying panels, bumper painting is a potential minefield.

Use a decent rubbing compound on the paint after it's fully hardened, be warned it is very easy to cut straight through the paint as it's thinner than you think unless you put lots on.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
In my experience leave it at least two weeks before you touch it with rubbing compound or T-Cut, preferably 4 weeks iff you can bear it just to make sure it's hard all the way through :D Paint in tins has extreme amounts of thinners in it and it takes forever to dry properly.

Soldato
That's true Lopez. The number of Rovers I've seen with the bumpers flaking... looks so crap.

I think Rich is going to get some colour coded bumpers anyway... especially as the later spec SEi/GSi front bumper looks so much better than the SLi's grey one.

Permabanned
Now find a set of 214 SEI bumpers which are red anyways and you'll be sorted! Looks like a good match anyways dude. When you T-Cut it in a few weeks it will look better :)

Associate
what kind of paint did you use? and did you use primer before and a clear coat (laquer) afterwards?

basically you want to be wet sanding between each.
If it is paint designed for a clear coat over the top then you should use wet and dry p1200 to smooth out the 'orange peel' and then apply the clear coat over that.

If however the paint is designed to be used alone (usually 2 pack paint) then you should use p1200 and then p1500 - 2000 to get rid of the orange peal and make the surface smooth, then use a polishing compound like G3 or G10 (much better than T-cut) to bring out the gloss and shine permanently. (usually sealed with a wax after about 2 weeks or so)

If you have used clearcoat and still have orange peal, you should use a very fine wet and dry grit like 2000 and get rid of all that orange peal then use a polishing compound like above to get it looking factory fresh.

i tend to personally do things right after the other, but it is recommended you leave paint at least 48 hours to fully harden.

good job though otherwise, especially as it's from a can! :)

(i'm currently respraying my whole car as you can probably tell with the jargon i talk)

edit: as long as you use plastic primer for the bumpers you should be fine. i know i was. this is only necessary if they are pure plastic and have not been previously painted, in which case if they are you can use normal products unless you sand all the way down back to plastic.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
agw_01 said:
That's true Lopez. The number of Rovers I've seen with the bumpers flaking... looks so crap.

I think Rich is going to get some colour coded bumpers anyway... especially as the later spec SEi/GSi front bumper looks so much better than the SLi's grey one.

Yea I am looking for colour coded bumpers from a gsi/sei instead since they look far nicer and will save hassle, thanks for the nice comments :)

Soldato
OP
All I did was wash the panels off, sand them with p1200 wet n dry and use the acrylic paint over the top, (put on about 6 or so layers in total) the paint says its designed to be used alone so I hope it should be ok and there are no run marks or uneven patches (oh the wonders of having to watch paint dry)

Soldato
i preffered it before, looks very 90s.

How much these rovers are worth is itworth doing all this, i would just buy a nice sei

Soldato
OP
Sone said:
i preffered it before, looks very 90s.

How much these rovers are worth is itworth doing all this, i would just buy a nice sei

well tbh it probably isnt worth it moneywise to do it, infact I will probably lose money, but the bodywork is totally perfect. The engine is also decent and there are loads of bits I can add it is a project for me, a nice sei would have been around £500 whereas this car cost me £280 plus it would have all been done for me and wheres the fun in that :p

Soldato
Sone said:

I paid £350 for mine. It's a shed... worth about £100 in its current state.

I plan to keep mine for years so will probably spend a couple of thousand on it to 'mint it up'

It's not about how much a car is worth to everyone else, it's about how much it's worth to the owner.

Soldato
OP
agw_01 said:
I paid £350 for mine. It's a shed... worth about £100 in its current state.

I plan to keep mine for years so will probably spend a couple of thousand on it to 'mint it up'

It's not about how much a car is worth to everyone else, it's about how much it's worth to the owner.

well said :D but I will probabyl get a 216 in a year or so :) but its still a great project and gives me loads of satisfaction :)

Soldato
Well, I've had 2 214's and thought they were excellent for the price. The second one was an absolute bargain. It was mint when I picked it up.

I'm now on my 3rd Rover and whilst I'd love something Jap and RWD, I'd much rather mod on the cheap and see what this Rover Turbo malarky is all about. You can have so much fun in a quick Rover :D

Oh, and to anyone who read my other thread where there was a mahoosive uproar about me getting rid...

1) I can't be bothered stripping this one
2) I can't be bothered looking for another car and making sure it runs fine
3) I got a payrise at work so might as well spend my money on something I enjoy

I did buy it as a project car afterall :)

Sorry for the hijack Rich.

Back
Top Bottom