***Official Squad Thread***

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Melbo,

Has duel screen be disabled or something? I swear (Now i am questioning myself) that i used to be able to move to my second screen in the menu's and when i was in game after hitting escape, it seems to me that its locked to one screen now and i need to alt/tab all the time? I am certain it was not like this before, was it? :)
If you're running fullscreen it will be locked to the one screen, if you use windowed-borderless it will allow you to move onto the second screen with the cursor - maybe check your video settings. :)

Associate
If you're running fullscreen it will be locked to the one screen, if you use windowed-borderless it will allow you to move onto the second screen with the cursor - maybe check your video settings. :)

Tried all that and made zero difference, i am wondering if its ReShade doing funny things?

Soldato
OP
Currently you need a hefty system. The unlimited draw distance and number of players currently takes a hit on fps. New animation system and moving to the latest Unreal Engine version will improve things somewhat but don't expect anything like 165fps on any system!

Thug
Soldato
Currently you need a hefty system. The unlimited draw distance and number of players currently takes a hit on fps. New animation system and moving to the latest Unreal Engine version will improve things somewhat but don't expect anything like 165fps on any system!

Would a 6gb 1060 cut the mustard or do I need to go higher? Just seems weird that it is low no matter how low I set the settings. And it looks (obviously) terrible then.

Really enjoying the game though. First game in so long that I have. Excellent team work good gameplay. Frankly it's helped enormously by having such a solid base of British lads.

Recommendations:

Location filter for games when it's released. Counter strike lost it having to play Russians. So good at the moment.

Rockets are pretty under powered. Too many instances of the armoured vehicles ******* everyone's **** up taking hits and then scooting off because people are out of rockets.

Also if I'm a anti tank with a RPG launcher and then an enemy pops up at close range I should be able to drop the thing and get my gun out not neatly fold away the sites before getting my back up ak out.

Also sharing ammo. We were pinned down and a couple lads were low on ammo. Would be nice to be able to share mags.

Maybe being able to put bipods on window sills.

Clarify the gun firing seems to hit window sills etc quite often. Guessing sights higher than barrel but should should lift gun to compensate. Makes it difficult to keep cover without compromising.

On the whole though a great game. Where graphics performance is a work in progress the audio more than makes up for it. Exceptional.

Soldato
OP
Would a 6gb 1060 cut the mustard or do I need to go higher? Just seems weird that it is low no matter how low I set the settings. And it looks (obviously) terrible then.

Squad is very CPU dependant. I run a 4790k at 4.7 + 970 with a slight OC on and get around 50/60 fps on ultra at 1080p.

Really enjoying the game though. First game in so long that I have. Excellent team work good gameplay. Frankly it's helped enormously by having such a solid base of British lads.

Recommendations:

Location filter for games when it's released. Counter strike lost it having to play Russians. So good at the moment.

The Russians tend to stick to their own Russian servers. They have a healthy community in Squad and tend not to venture too far!

Rockets are pretty under powered. Too many instances of the armoured vehicles ******* everyone's **** up taking hits and then scooting off because people are out of rockets.

HAT kit is a one hit kill against all armour currently in game.

Also if I'm a anti tank with a RPG launcher and then an enemy pops up at close range I should be able to drop the thing and get my gun out not neatly fold away the sites before getting my back up ak out.

Kind of working as intended. If you have your main weapon down then make sure your squad mates are covering you. Animation changes will come so you can interrupt weapon switching.

Also sharing ammo. We were pinned down and a couple lads were low on ammo. Would be nice to be able to share mags.

Coming.

Maybe being able to put bipods on window sills.

Also coming.

Clarify the gun firing seems to hit window sills etc quite often. Guessing sights higher than barrel but should should lift gun to compensate. Makes it difficult to keep cover without compromising.

Bullets come from the barrel not the middle of the screen in Squad so make sure the muzzle is clear. Having said that, windows are currently annoying as hell and a "soft cover" system is in the works.

On the whole though a great game. Where graphics performance is a work in progress the audio more than makes up for it. Exceptional.

Thanks! Anders the sound guy is amazing. Looking forward to seeing what he can do with the helicopters :) Not long before the next update then it's all about v10!

Soldato
To give you some idea, here is a comparison of performance between two systems:

i7 2600k @ 4.7Ghz, 980Ti @ 1500Mhz - 40-75fps
i7 7700k @ 5Ghz, 1080Ti @ 2050Mhz - 80-140 fps

Config:
  • 2560x1440p
  • No in game AA or resolution scaling
  • Reshade 3.0.6
  • The lower end of the performance is typical after about 30mins of playing with the higher end at the start of the match
  • All figures are based on 80 man servers on large maps
Key factors which impact performance:
  • Server population. You will get significantly higher FPS when the server is around 30 players
  • Server map up time - The longer you play throughout a round the worse performance gets
  • CPU single threaded performance - Raw CPU power is critical to get the most out of this game. For instance when running my 1080Ti with my 2600k my performance was the same as my 980Ti (I was CPU bound)
  • AA & Resolution Scaling

Last edited:
Thug
Soldato
To give you some idea, here is a comparison of performance between two systems:

i7 2600k @ 4.7Ghz, 980Ti @ 1500Mhz - 40-75fps
i7 7700k @ 5Ghz, 1080Ti @ 2050Mhz - 80-140 fps

Config:
  • 2560x1440p
  • No in game AA or resolution scaling
  • Reshade 3.0.6
  • The lower end of the performance is typical after about 30mins of playing with the higher end at the start of the match
  • All figures are based on 80 man servers on large maps
Key factors which impact performance:
  • Server population. You will get significantly higher FPS when the server is around 30 players
  • Server map up time - The longer you play throughout a round the worse performance gets
  • CPU single threaded performance - Raw CPU power is critical to get the most out of this game. For instance when running my 1080Ti with my 2600k my performance was the same as my 980Ti (I was CPU bound)
  • AA & Resolution Scaling

Interesting... so my hex core isn't of much use? I should just overclock it? Searching round it seems the 3970x can overclock from 3.5ghats to 4.5ghats without room much hassle. Might try that first..

Soldato
Interesting... so my hex core isn't of much use? I should just overclock it? Searching round it seems the 3970x can overclock from 3.5ghats to 4.5ghats without room much hassle. Might try that first..

I wouldn't say it's not of much use - my understanding is that the UE4 engine is not fully optimized for multiple cores right now so single threaded performance remains king. Certainly overclocking your PC will help assuming you're CPU limited.

NB: I'm not a Dev so maybe Xcept can shed more light on the above

Soldato
OP
Hi Squaddies!

It's time for another Squad update and special event announcement!

In conjunction with several of our community partners we are excited to announce a special game mode testing event this coming Sunday, April 30th at 2 PM PST.

Our community partners came up with some ideas that we've crafted into two very simple gameplay layers, so on Sunday we're all about stretching the boundaries of everyday Squad play to test an experimental map and game mode!

Desmo's playground - VC_v1 (Vehicle Combat)

Designed by our very own DesmoLocke, this layer consists of enough vehicles to mount an entire team in extended vehicular warfare. With 50 vehicles, 1000 tickets, and 3 very large control zones, we are certain to get into some wild adventures!

Zagros Highlands - Conquest Hardened

Combining ideas from a few of our partners, this game mode will consist of 7 conquest flags occupying hilltops. Each team will be allowed 10 minutes to pre-build bases on their two round start control points, after which a global combat barrier will drop and teams will be free to attack each other.

We're looking forward to hearing what you think of the new game modes, so don't be shy if you've got feedback after it all goes down. Whether you're playing or watching, we hope everyone enjoys the experiments we'll be streaming on Twitch this Sunday, April 30th!

Offworld Out.

Thug
Soldato
I wouldn't say it's not of much use - my understanding is that the UE4 engine is not fully optimized for multiple cores right now so single threaded performance remains king. Certainly overclocking your PC will help assuming you're CPU limited.

NB: I'm not a Dev so maybe Xcept can shed more light on the above

Well I just bought a GTX 1070 today for the game so hopefully that will remove the graphics bottleneck. Will get cracking on the 3970X overclock. Hopefully we should be able to crack 40-50fps @ 1440p. If not then it might be a 7700k on the horizon..

Soldato
OP
Well I just bought a GTX 1070 today for the game so hopefully that will remove the graphics bottleneck. Will get cracking on the 3970X overclock. Hopefully we should be able to crack 40-50fps @ 1440p. If not then it might be a 7700k on the horizon..

Nice, I almost treated myself to a 1080 a few days ago but for some reason decided against it...not sure how much longer I can hold out!

Soldato
OP
That vehicle map - Imagine the wolf pack!

It should be quite interesting! If you've got a lower spec machine you WILL have problems with it. This is just an early test to see how far we can push it currently. Shame I'm away until Monday evening so I'll miss the carnage!

Soldato
OP
Hello! If you're here, then you're interested in playing in the Squad experimental event featuring a 6km X 6km map called Zagros Highlands this Sunday, April 30th, 2017 at 14:00 PST! The map will feature two new gamemodes called Vehicle Combat and Conquest Hardened. Read more about it here!

Please provide your in-game name and your Steam ID 64 to sign up! Sign up link.

Simply copy your Steam profile link and paste it here to look it up! https://steamid.io/lookup

If the number of sign-ups is more than the available number of slots, then a lottery will pick members randomly. I'll post the roster Saturday. Good luck!

Disclaimer: Zagros Highlands is a huge map with very little done as far as optimizing it. Lower tier PCs may struggle to perform well. This shouldn't dissuade you from signing up! Just wanted to let you know.

Soldato
It should be quite interesting! If you've got a lower spec machine you WILL have problems with it. This is just an early test to see how far we can push it currently. Shame I'm away until Monday evening so I'll miss the carnage!

Not mine! Shame I won't be able to play at that time. Looking forward to the VOD though. Can you tell us anything about how the animation changes and Core Inventory updates are going Xcept? Has there been any buzz with the International Comp at OWI. Any favorites? My team FFO are playing in two weeks time against the french team - should be a good fight.

Back
Top Bottom