SSD in gaming machine. worth the money?

Permabanned
My Samsung Spinpoint F3 500gb gets me into most games as one of the first players. So either I rarely play against other players with SSD's or the difference in load times is hardly noticeable.

Associate
My Samsung Spinpoint F3 500gb gets me into most games as one of the first players. So either I rarely play against other players with SSD's or the difference in load times is hardly noticeable.

do you have an ssd ? and i bet when you do and compare you wont go back

Associate
I think for BF3, it must be some other part of the computer that makes you get in fast. I don't have an SSD either, and I am amongst the first, if not the first, most of the time. And that is a 2gb seagate 5900rpm!
And yeah, being first just means I have to wait to be "released" and I cannot move before a certain time... Some peeps comes in later for sure, but I am not all that sure it is because of what drive they have.
I was pretty surprised actually, as I expected it to be slow, and I would buy an SSD down the road. I still want to, but I feel I can save up for a big high quality one now, no rush.
Might a lot of RAM have something to do with it? I got no idea.
I think it differs between games.
I have no doubt though, that when I finally get an SSD, I will love it. You easily get used to a quick and a snappy OS.
Only 10 to 20 secs faster upstart, some will say. But I can remember when you had to wait a minute or two, or even more, for an OS to load up...
Hey what is a minute? I'm pretty sure that none of us wants to go back that way.
I'm convinced I will be hooked to the snappiness, once I get an SSD installed :D
But it will be a luxury part for me. My comp works fine now, I does all I want. So cash has been prioritized elsewhere untill now.

Associate
i think if your happy with load times then fair and well, i had five operating systems on my other drives a mixture of 500gb and 120 gb and 80 gb drives cant rememebr off hand all the makes but as soon as i added my ssd as a gaming drive with a clean operating system on it the boot times and the game load times improved to such an extent if i go back to my old drive at boot im starting to get annoyed at the time it takes to load i can power on and be in widows7 in like 30 seconds now thats after going through the boot selection screen as opposed to a couple of minutes so for me at least its a huge improvement on boot.

when loading game screens also the load bar flies across the screen rather than jutters

Permabanned
Just got my 10% OCUK code. Extremely tempted to order the 256gb M4 now as it will knock it down to just above £200. Plus like I said I'm upgrading to a i5 2500k setup as well, so the difference with the new CPU and SSD will most likely feel extremely worthwhile, as I will have to re-install the OS anyway.

Associate
the 256 m4 is what i have easy to drop a clean install of win on there and a few games and just multi boot with "easybcd" so you only need what you want to run fast on the ssd leave all the **** on another drive under another version of windows or whatever os you want thats all ive done and have the option to boot into as many drives with diferent os on them depending on what i want to do and the ssd with no cluter is fast as hell then.

Back
Top Bottom