SSD in my Mac Pro *updated with performance figures* (and video)

Soldato
I've given up having the SATA-III C300 in the main SATA-III supporting port, and now put it in the OptiBay at SATA-II speeds.

Far more fluid and reliable than it was in the other port unfortunately.

I've put on the latest updates, I may swap them around to try and see if they've had any effect.

Soldato
Latest EFI, C300 in the SATA-III slot - sporadic performance, much the same as before. Excel 2/3 bounces, same with Firefox.

In the SATA-II bay Excel/Firefox/Word all one bounce and bang, open.

Oh well. Suppose I could try some tin foil around the cable.

Soldato
You're seeing worse problems than me. I get the occasional freeze nothing more but I am starting to think some of the issues are down to wifi signal loss rather than the SSD. I need to finish my work and then do some more investigation as I think the MBP keeps dropping the connection.

Associate
I'm (most likely) going to be purchasing my first SSD this week and just wanted to double check my checklist is right.

1) Put SSD in
2) Format it to the Guid Partition Table - should I partition this? As I've read that with sandforce controllers the bigger the unused partition is the better for the drive it is as its also used for over provisioning, am I right thinking this?
3) Do a clean install - ie not from a backup or migration.
4) Turn off the sudden motion sensor.
5) Turn off the "put hard disk to sleep" function

I won't be getting an optibay so won't be moving the home folder anywhere.

Anything I missed?

Soldato
For your MBP you should get a SATAII SSD like an older intel or the Vertex 2. Those newer drives you linked would be over kill, you need SATA III to get the fullest out of them.

You wont need a cradle if it's to replace the stock 2.5" HDD.

Just install as you would normally (do not 0 the drive for god sake), by formatting it to HFS+ Journaled. :)
Well I've now decided to get the Intel 320 160GB SATA-II drive, not becuase I can't use Sata III, but because of the cost. I think I will just about manage with 160Gb. If need be, I can replace the DVD drive with another HD. Thanks for the reply :).

Soldato
Just an update on my M4 freezing issues I was experiencing - it was the wireless connection dropping and not the SSD freezing. I made changes to my wireless setup last night and I've had 0 freezes and dropouts all day.

I'm very pleased with my purchase and happy to recommend others to get one.

Soldato
C300 works great in the 27" 2011 iMac... no stuttering, very fluid.

3fe93852866c7bbdf47aa7f13d7ae54c5efac760eb.jpg

Soldato
Well guys, whats the performance like now? Is TRIM offering any improvement or just a tool to help keep the drive healthier?

Its now active in 10.6.8

Soldato
You guys are really making me want to stick an SSD in my 2010 Mini, although it's a rather fiddly procedure. No idea what brand I should be looking at, and where they're cheapest (parents in Florida next month, cheaper to buy there and bring back?).

Associate
Just upgraded to an OCZ Vertex ssd in my 2007 white MacBook and the results are quite impressive, very unscientific timings are -

Cold boot to login screen - 45s down to 23s
Login to usable desktop - 37s down to 4s
iTunes - 7s to 2s
iPhoto - 10s to 3s
Launch Win XP in VMWare - ~1min to ~30s

Anyone thinking of doing it even on an older machine I would say go for it, can't believe just how much snappier it is in general.

Back
Top Bottom