SSD on Dell 12 Rugged Extreme

Associate
Trying to get some clarification:

As I keep destroying laptops, I've gone and got a refurbed 12 Rugged Extreme. £650 delivered wasn't to bad a price if you look at the brand new screen price. Although only a i3, 8gb, 128sata, it will fulfill my needs.

Anyway, my question: Set up properties state the ssd is an SK Hynix SC308. I was thinking about buying another, as a bit of future proofing, should the original go down but I can't find a single example of this item with an interface that matches that of the original.

All the replacements I find have simple PCB contacts. However, the original has metal pins covered with a plastic shroud.

Is this right? Will a replacement still fit?

Cheers, Nic.

Associate
I ve just seen a video of this laptop which shows below as ssd drive and it has a cage to allow quick release, see below image if its similar to yours you probably need to remove the cage and install your new ssd. Its common setup in laptops.
dell_e6420_disk_300.jpg

But model number you posted is for M2 drive so best to post an image of it.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the info Baro'.
The model number posted is from the Dell data; the actual ssd is a 'Pegatron' according to the sticker on it.
It is just a PCB with a permanent shroud over the contacts and a screw down arched metal cover protecting the chips; its not a cage type like the one youve posted.

Associate
I ve looked around but couldnt see your model or parts used in your model so only way to tell is if you remove the ssd and take images of ssd and the port.

Back
Top Bottom