SSD Pricing to Surge on the Back of NAND Shortages - Stock Your SSD Needs

Soldato
Just got two mx300 525GB for £80 each on black Friday so should be OK. I was hopping that the high capacity SSD(2TB+) would come down in price but looks like it will be 2+ years before that.

Soldato
Just got two mx300 525GB for £80 each on black Friday so should be OK. I was hopping that the high capacity SSD(2TB+) would come down in price but looks like it will be 2+ years before that.

did the exact same plus a small 120gb cheap drive to use when testing systems to tied me other till the next "big thing"

Caporegime
Read in several other places that SSD prices will go up this quarter and Q1 2017, but for the rest of 2017 should come back down again, as various places ramp up their 3D TLC and 3D MLC production.

So it's not like you can't just wait 6 months or so :p

Caporegime

Nah, not at all. Next year higher density chips will start being produced in large quantities, so 1TB+ drives should come down in price before too long.

Associate
I want cheaper 1tb and 2tb SSD's, and want 4tb SSD's too at realistic prices.

And I think the pricing of memory and SSD's is a bit of a joke, with more excuses for price hikes than factual reasons.

My last 500gb 850 Evo was £130 rrp. I just picked up a B-grade 500gb 850 Evo for £90 for my spares box. Edit; No I have not. Just got an email stating it is out of stock

Last edited:
Soldato
NAND shortage my arse, what a load. Any shortage is created by them. There's plenty of resources for manufacturing what is needed, but instead they have to waste resources on releasing new disposable phones every other week. Because they cant keep fake marketing SSDs with pointless "new" features like they do with phones.

If they weren't wasting time releasing disposable crap like phones every 2 months there wouldn't be a nand shortage would there. They create a mess and we have to pay.

I purchased a 240GB Kingston SSD in may 2016 for £56.99
The SAME ssd, with same item number is now £82.42.
That's 36% more expensive after 14 months.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Toshiba is about to launch its own 3D Nand SSD. Hopefully the increased competition later this year, when many companies have 3D TLC SSD for sale, will see prices start to fall again. Sadly MLC is gone :(

Soldato
NAND shortage my arse, what a load. Any shortage is created by them. There's plenty of resources for manufacturing what is needed, but instead they have to waste resources on releasing new disposable phones every other week. Because they cant keep fake marketing SSDs with pointless "new" features like they do with phones.

If they weren't wasting time releasing disposable crap like phones every 2 months there wouldn't be a nand shortage would there. They create a mess and we have to pay.
Same reasons are behind prices of DRAM.

Associate
mlc is still about , tlc is in the ascendancy but qlc *quad level is starting to come on stream. Ideal for rarely accessed storage, and should bring prices down. I blame brexit and the miners (not the coal miners the coin miners)

Back
Top Bottom