Standard of driving in the UK going downhill.

Soldato
I took them as illustrative ... and not what they specifically got given - if indeed they were found because reg plates looked as though they would have been indistinct (ie not blurred intentionally)

It's a low res video, the actual footage submitted to police would have been of higher quality.

Soldato
many dashcams have poor definition, especially at night time, which is a principal reason I haven't bothered to get one

irrespective - I'm still doing a double take that the 1st camper incident would be 3points/£100 driving without due care - that's derisory
police should be allowed to perform vehicle destruction, too.

Man of Honour
Bare in mind I'm sitting further to the right so I had less time to see and react than from the dash cam perspective.

The lights from the first car mostly blocked out what was going on but I'll hold my hand up to that I did have a chance albeit a slim one to have observed the cyclists and be more prepared.

EDIT: Can't be sure but though wearing a high vis top it looks like the rear cyclist doesn't have any lights so the driver may have had difficulty seeing them until they were on top of them as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
Bare in mind I'm sitting further to the right so I had less time to see and react than from the dash cam perspective.

The lights from the first car mostly blocked out what was going on but I'll hold my hand up to that I did have a chance albeit a slim one to have observed the cyclists and be more prepared.

EDIT: Can't be sure but though wearing a high vis top it looks like the rear cyclist doesn't have any lights so the driver may have had difficulty seeing them until they were on top of them as well.
I can't say I'm a fan of driving at night for that reason. a lot of ninja cyclists about, and extra bright headlights coming towards you makes it hard to see.

Man of Honour
I can't say I'm a fan of driving at night for that reason. a lot of ninja cyclists about, and extra bright headlights coming towards you makes it hard to see.

I'm not loving some of the new headlight tech - probably great for the driver but seem to obscure stuff in the dark when you are looking into them in a way older ones don't.

Soldato
many dashcams have poor definition, especially at night time, which is a principal reason I haven't bothered to get one

that videos a case in point for dash cam capability - driver on other side was irresponsible. - but with dashcam flare you can't see much.
I suppose had there been a crash it could have been useful.
but maybe even pro/police dashcams are little better https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_hK2beZItM

No windscreen glass improvements or coatings to reduce glare, like you get on glasses. ?

edit:
seems some teslas may have polarized windscreen,
but rake is another issue https://www.wired.com/2016/04/tesla-windshield-ghosting-double-vision/

Last edited:
Man of Honour
that videos a case in point for dash cam capability - driver on other side was irresponsible. - but with dashcam flare you can't see much.
I suppose had there been a crash it could have been useful.
but maybe even pro/police dashcams are little better https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_hK2beZItM

No windscreen glass improvements or coatings to reduce glare, like you get on glasses. ?

I basically bought the cheapest dash cam which is at least somewhat useful quality wise - there are much better ones to be fair. Personally it is more about covering my back than identifying other people,

Caporegime
I'm not sure he's actually undertaking, I believe he's passing on the left, the difference being an undertake would be lane 2, lane 1 then back to lane 2. I'm not sure who would be at fault if somebody hit you as they were technically breaking the law by being in lane 2.

Thats exactly what he did do. He said he downshifted to make his presence felt and moved into lane 1, undertook the cars and moved back to lane 2 honking his horn. The absolute definition of undertaking.

If lane 1 was empty for miles like he claimed, why was he in lane 2 anyway and secondly why did he move back into lane 2 after his undertake?>

Caporegime
Is undertaking (on the left) a punishable offence?
From what i remember of the highway-code it isn't, rather they/the officer would have to determine it as something else like 'careless driving'. But i'm not sure that would hold if middle-lane-hoggers were ignoring the highway code of keeping left whilst not overtaking and you pootled past at the NSL.

The Highway Code advises drivers not to undertake – although it is not a punishable offence in itself.

It states: “Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake.”

However, anybody caught undertaking could receive a fixed penalty notice (FPN) for careless driving or driving without due care and attention. 3 points and a £100 fine.

Man of Honour
The Highway Code advises drivers not to undertake – although it is not a punishable offence in itself.

It states: “Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake.”

However, anybody caught undertaking could receive a fixed penalty notice (FPN) for careless driving or driving without due care and attention. 3 points and a £100 fine.
The funny thing is the person overtaking on the left is probably paying more attention than the person causing them to take that action :o

Caporegime
The funny thing is the person overtaking on the left is probably paying more attention than the person causing them to take that action :o

Maybe so but two wrongs dont make a right. If a policeman had been around both parties should have been fined.

This is a classic middle lane hogger. I love how he moves onto a totally empty motorway and just stays in lane 2, never overtaking anything!

https://www.express.co.uk/life-styl...-fine-middle-lane-hoggers-illegal-overtake-uk

Soldato
There’s a Greggs and a coffee shop on the corners of a side road. Drivers park a couple of metres from the junction - on double yellow lines, to get their sausage roll and caffeine fix.

Because of their idiotic parking, it makes leaving the side road extremely difficult. Traffic wardens do ticket these idiots all the time. There’s nothing in the Highway Code that allows to park on double yellows for purchasing food and drink!

Man of Honour
Seeing more and more people take up the second lane at the start of a dual-carriageway I use to get to work and just sit there at 40 MPH to take a right hand exit over a mile further along causing a lot of people to undertake.

Also getting a lot more people undertake or flash me to move over when in lane 2 at the same location when I'm doing a reasonable speed and/or following on other traffic which is only making so-so progress through the 40 limit at the start of it... but then once we get to the NSL change and onto the dual-carriageway proper they just sit there at 50-55! so I end up overtaking them again.

EDIT: Video from one instance recently - some bonus carnage at the start where a car goes from lane 1 to 3 at the lights as well:

They sat there never breaching 40MPH - eventually people did the inevitable.

What they usually do is sit in lane 2 at 40MPH until they can take the right exit as illustrated here causing chaos for a mile or so:

Z6j8vJT.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Seeing more and more people take up the second lane at the start of a dual-carriageway I use to get to work and just sit there at 40 MPH to take a right hand exit over a mile further along causing a lot of people to undertake.

Also getting a lot more people undertake or flash me to move over when in lane 2 at the same location when I'm doing a reasonable speed and/or following on other traffic which is only making so-so progress through the 40 limit at the start of it... but then once we get to the NSL change and onto the dual-carriageway proper they just sit there at 50-55! so I end up overtaking them again.

EDIT: Video from one instance recently - some bonus carnage at the start where a car goes from lane 1 to 3 at the lights as well:

They sat there never breaching 40MPH - eventually people did the inevitable.

What they usually do is sit in lane 2 at 40MPH until they can take the right exit as illustrated here causing chaos for a mile or so:

Z6j8vJT.jpg
That nsl sign I'd when I'd be putting my foot down regardless of what speed the morons in lane 2 were doing.

Man of Honour
I get all the fun ones (not very interesting video) - probably an old person - was mostly doing 20MPH the odd time sped up to 30 - with their main beams on most of the time - occasionally turned them off (I think by accident) and slowed down to 10MPH until they turned them on again.

Video doesn't show it very well but every 2nd to 3rd car was flashing them. I'm not sure near the end they didn't drive towards the other driver intentionally rather than because they couldn't see where they were going.

Unfortunately had forgotten the numberplate by the time I got to my destination and it doesn't show in the footage due to being night.

(2/3rds of the video I was using idle revs and all - barely touched the accelerator or brakes)

EDIT: Average speed was 27.18 MPH which surprises me - thought it would be closer to 20. On a normal day it is 41-42MPH over the same stretch.

Last edited:
Soldato
I get all the fun ones (not very interesting video) - probably an old person - was mostly doing 20MPH the odd time sped up to 30 - with their main beams on most of the time - occasionally turned them off (I think by accident) and slowed down to 10MPH until they turned them on again.

Video doesn't show it very well but every 2nd to 3rd car was flashing them. I'm not sure near the end they didn't drive towards the other driver intentionally rather than because they couldn't see where they were going.

Unfortunately had forgotten the numberplate by the time I got to my destination and it doesn't show in the footage due to being night.

(2/3rds of the video I was using idle revs and all - barely touched the accelerator or brakes)

EDIT: Average speed was 27.18 MPH which surprises me - thought it would be closer to 20. On a normal day it is 41-42MPH over the same stretch.
People like that should just give up driving imo.

Soldato
Should probably be a night vision/acuity requirement in the highway code - that degrades faster with age, I've never asked if Specsavers can do that.

Would be interesting to know how the lane keeping / autosteer (in the likes of tesla) fairs at night time - don't recollect seeing any videos, but that's when you'd want 30winks.

Soldato
That is even more reason not to do it though as the middle lane hogger is likely to just weave back into lane 1 without even glancing in their mirrors.

Back
Top Bottom