Standard of driving in the UK going downhill.

Man of Honour
To be honest, the only thing that really grinds my gears is for what ever reason 90+% of people fail to understand who queueing in all lanes and merge in turn.

Nope let’s all queue in lane 1 and make the tailback 3x longer than it needs to be blocking junctions further back on the carriageway. Then you have those who think they are really clever and straddle two lanes to actively block the other lane.

A topic which has been done to death many times already but as I've mentioned before - older versions of the highway code, when there were far less multi-lane carriageways and far less traffic on the road while not having specific rules for merging tended to encourage forming an orderly queue in good time, getting over to the left lane early unless directed by a policeman or other persons authorised to direct traffic to do otherwise. People of that generation tended to hand on that kind of approach to the generation(s) which came after them and until around 2007 IIRC there was no specific guidance in the highway code, after the removal of the guidance circa 50s and 60s or so, and it was only properly clarified in a more recent update.

Many many people are ignorant of the update to section 134:

Rule 134
You should follow the signs and road markings and get into the lane as directed. In congested road conditions do not change lanes unnecessarily. Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed, e.g. when approaching road works or a road traffic incident. It is not recommended at high speed.

Whether more awareness of it would make a difference is up for debate but nothing will change while a vast amount of people on the road don't even realise it has changed in the last few years. Doesn't help that few places where it would be appropriate are properly signed anyhow but a lot of people don't do it even when it is. More recently there have been some changes to road layouts where the designer/planner has obviously gone with the assumption people will merge in turn and it just causes chaos because the road can't cope with the way people use it instead. I just have to facepalm at the stupidity of the planners ultimately though.

Problem is the odd person doing it properly generally causes more issues than it solves and just looks like pushing in and being rude anyhow regardless so it doesn't solve anything.

PS I've had this conversation with professional drivers and even driving instructors who weren't aware... more so than many other changes it has been poorly telegraphed or handled.

Soldato
I believe standards have got worse. The one that gets me is mini roundabouts. People literally don't understand them. They also straight line them without even lifting.

Soldato
A topic which has been done to death many times already but as I've mentioned before - older versions of the highway code, when there were far less multi-lane carriageways and far less traffic on the road while not having specific rules for merging tended to encourage forming an orderly queue in good time, getting over to the left lane early unless directed by a policeman or other persons authorised to direct traffic to do otherwise. People of that generation tended to hand on that kind of approach to the generation(s) which came after them and until around 2007 IIRC there was no specific guidance in the highway code, after the removal of the guidance circa 50s and 60s or so, and it was only properly clarified in a more recent update.

Many many people are ignorant of the update to section 134:

Whether more awareness of it would make a difference is up for debate but nothing will change while a vast amount of people on the road don't even realise it has changed in the last few years. Doesn't help that few places where it would be appropriate are properly signed anyhow but a lot of people don't do it even when it is. More recently there have been some changes to road layouts where the designer/planner has obviously gone with the assumption people will merge in turn and it just causes chaos because the road can't cope with the way people use it instead. I just have to facepalm at the stupidity of the planners ultimately though.

Problem is the odd person doing it properly generally causes more issues than it solves and just looks like pushing in and being rude anyhow regardless so it doesn't solve anything.

PS I've had this conversation with professional drivers and even driving instructors who weren't aware... more so than many other changes it has been poorly telegraphed or handled.
Thinking about it though, regardless of how many lanes the ques still going to be the same amount of cars, it would just be shorter and wider, I don't see it magically disappearing due to merge in turn being followed.

Soldato
Things sure have changed since I learned to drive, chiefly the sheer volume of traffic and the amount of obstacles put there to try and cope with the volume, such as priority measures, traffic lights on most roundabouts, serpentine one way systems etc.

I was driving through the centre of Bristol yesterday evening and was surprised by the number of voi scooters and deliveroo mopeds using the road. There were masses of them swarming up to the lights between waiting cars, jostling for position at the front.

It wasn't like that when I was a lad :)

Soldato
Thinking about it though, regardless of how many lanes the ques still going to be the same amount of cars, it would just be shorter and wider, I don't see it magically disappearing due to merge in turn being followed.

Yes, that's the idea - the idea is to prevent traffic from blocking the previous junction(s) (since people are also incapable of reading the road ahead of them and noticing that if they blindly follow the stationary car in front of them, they'll end up blocking other traffic which would otherwise be free flowing).

Soldato
Tbh 7 days would be bring many countries to collapse, from hospital supplies to the food chain, your right, one day would inflict huge damage.

I agree (I would! :D) Professional drivers are not the problem, although holding a license does not make anybody a professional alas...

Take today for example. I've 40+ drivers out tonight we normally cover over 15k miles in a night but tonight because of asshats panic buying 120+ Practices haven't had their Pathology samples collected simply because we just can't get the fuel.

PS mate. I've just seen your other post regarding Pay... Drop me a Trust with were your based. I can beat that for sure if you ever want to get off the big stuff.

Soldato
Take today for example. I've 40+ drivers out tonight we normally cover over 15k miles in a night but tonight because of asshats panic buying 120+ Practices haven't had their Pathology samples collected simply because we just can't get the fuel.

PS mate. I've just seen your other post regarding Pay... Drop me a Trust with were your based. I can beat that for sure if you ever want to get off the big stuff.
Does he still get to wear secret stockings and high heels?

Caporegime
Professional drivers are not the problem, although holding a license does not make anybody a professional alas...

Some of the worst driving I regularly witness is from 'professional drivers'. Normally taxis to be fair, followed by 8 wheeler drivers. Seen some shockers from driving instructors too.

Soldato
I believe standards have got worse. The one that gets me is mini roundabouts. People literally don't understand them. They also straight line them without even lifting.

There are a couple of my commute which they have made so tight you can't go round them. You have to go over them if you don't want to clip curbs and look like an idiot. People still follow the roundabout rules though so who cares.

The standard of road design has got worse, way worse.

Caporegime

May well do that! - Thank you - I live about 2 miles from OC/UK.... :)

Sgarrista
Commissario
The number of red light jumpers around here is straight up appalling now. There have already been a number of crashes over the last year but its at the point of being purely dangerous because people are pushing the limits more and more.

I pulled up to a light that has just gone red earlier in lane 1. Was there for a good three or four seconds and a car in lane 2 just went straight through at easily 70mph. Any crossing traffic would have stood no chance but fortunately it was just one car who turned.

nam

nam

Soldato
long term covid has caused a greater number of bell ends on the road and does not seem to be ending

watching this channel :eek:

Permabanned
I passed my driving test forty years ago & a few of my jobs involved a lot of driving.
I would rate myself as a safe, competent driver who on the whole USED to enjoy driving.
Whilst, I think that standards seem lower now, I would like to inject that road layouts are a big concern. The amount of lanes at various roundabouts & junctions that exist now that are totally baffling or downright dangerous.
I have lived in my town all my life, so I know it like the back of my hand.
The road layouts & every roundabout is poor.
What’s with all the arrows & lanes on roundabouts, & the natural flow is all wrong.
Obviously it’s not just my area...for visitors & through traffic is must be a nightmare.
The standard of motorway driving is terrible...extra tuition on motorways would help, but if you live miles from one, then that could pose a few problems..
It could be that modern cars have cocooned drivers so much now, it’s like driving around in your living room. Do we really need all those screens, bells a whistles.
The youth of today has changed too...& not for the better.
My young daughter passed her test a few years ago & she is a sensible & a nice driver, but to hear her tales about driving & near misses is unnerving.

Just put a nice CD on, relax, concentrate & enjoy the view.
It used to be so simple,

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The road layouts & every roundabout is poor.
What’s with all the arrows & lanes on roundabouts, & the natural flow is all wrong.
Obviously it’s not just my area...for visitors & through traffic is must be a nightmare.

Yeah one of the things I hate - town I lived in when I learnt to drive 20 years ago could drive one side to the other no sweat - now with all the layout changes and redesigned roundabouts it is stressful and difficult to get right if you aren't familiar with the town.

Permabanned
Yeah one of the things I hate - town I lived in when I learnt to drive 20 years ago could drive one side to the other no sweat - now with all the layout changes and redesigned roundabouts it is stressful and difficult to get right if you aren't familiar with the town.

That’s it:
Re Roundabouts:
Look at the sign for the six approach lanes, pick the one you need & then once you are committed, follow the lanes before it all becomes a lottery.
They have changed a major junction in our town costing umpteen millions of pounds.
It was a cockup from the start of planning to the present day. (All the had to do was build a flyover)
It’s had so many ‘incidents’, that it’s going to be redesigned.
It was only built a few years ago.

Last edited:
Soldato
Coventry wins the biscuit on this one I reckon. That whole fly over system is treachery for a new/unexperienced driver.

Soldato

I've had it before where I was travelling over a mile up an empty lane 2 whilst lane 1 was queuing. Then some moron just pulled out into L2 and crawled with the cars in L1, preventing myself & the drivers behind me from using the road correctly.

Some of the worst driving I regularly witness is from 'professional drivers'. Normally taxis to be fair, followed by 8 wheeler drivers. Seen some shockers from driving instructors too.

Taxi drivers are NOT professional drivers. Please stop lumping them in that category.

The number of red light jumpers around here is straight up appalling now. There have already been a number of crashes over the last year but its at the point of being purely dangerous because people are pushing the limits more and more.

I pulled up to a light that has just gone red earlier in lane 1. Was there for a good three or four seconds and a car in lane 2 just went straight through at easily 70mph. Any crossing traffic would have stood no chance but fortunately it was just one car who turned.

It's ridiculous everywhere now. As you said it's not just amber-gambling now, it's flat out solid reds. We had a vehicle re-ended last week (single deck bus) because the idiot behind 'thought the bus was gonna go through as it only just turned amber'. Bus was 4-5 lengths from the light at 20mph...

Back
Top Bottom