• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Standout cards over the years?

Soldato
Stand out cards for me were

Matrox Millenium
Orchid Righteous 3D (Voodoo 1)
2 x Diamond Monster II (Voodoo 2) - first SLI for me
GeForce 256
Radeon 9800
8800GTX

There's been others in between but they have been incremental improvements. These were the real game changers in one way or another for me.

Associate
3Dfx Voodoo 1 - epic card,especialy was in Unreal (first),never forget that feeling ;)
Riva TNT - no introduction needed
8800GTX - no competition from ati for how many years? LOL :D
even today this beast capable to run games perfectly on smaller screens (still have it,just in case)
Those 2 cards really BEST ever,period!

P.S.Spydell - my 8800GTX with stock cooler,idle~36-40C,load~60-66C (in some noname case),so your try failed ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, I'm not going to go way back when, but in 'recent' history I'd say:

9700/9800 Pro - 9700 came first and blitzed the NV rivals, 9800Pro slightly refined and improved the price to perf ratio and brought it to a wider market
6600GT - Hit the perfect price point, faster than the 9800 Pro by a reasonable amount, didn't cost the earth and brought SM3 to the field. The 6800s were faster but were priced much higher.
8800GTX - faster than anything AMD had at the time, and lasted well
8800GT - bought great performance back to the mass market gamer price point
4870 - Completely changed the pricing structure all other cards could be sold for on the release date, unparallelled performance for the price. 9800GTXs had to drop about £100 overnight.

Wouldn't say there's been anything 'stand out' since.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I had a 9800 pro, cracking card.

I had or should i say still do have one, but i also had one of these.

9800xtsml.jpg

http://www.trustedreviews.com/ATi-Radeon-9800XT_PC-Component_review

i remember i had a 256 and a tnt (i still have them) i've had a lot of cards but the only ones that i remember failing on me is a geforce 3 ti 500 and a 8800gts, that xt above is still working. ;) for unkown reasons i didn't like voodoo cards.

http://www.techtite.com/wwwrong/Wwwrong6.html

Last edited:
Associate
Two that did it for me:

Nvidia Geforce FX 5200

Nvidia Geforce 6600GT - my first 'real' card

but they are just my personal opinions,

never owned an 8800 however I heard enough about them to know of their capabilities!

Soldato
9700/9800 Pro
6800 GT
8800GTX
GTX 460

Best stand out for ALL the wrong reasons??.....

FX 5800 Ultra....AKA the 'Dyson' :D Police and electricity providers thought people using these were powering marajuana farms and the noise was enough to drown out the sound of a low flying jet :D Oh.....and the performance was cack :D Thankfully, a lot has been learned since those days.

The Gainward 6800GT Golden sample.

I had the GLH (Goes Like Hell) edition of that with the 1.1ns memory on it. Came in a MASSIVE red cowling with red LED fans. It went like STINK and due to the tighter RAM timings and OC'd GPU, it was faster than pretty much every 6800 Ultra card on the market.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Three most standout cards are clearly the 3dfx Voodoo Graphics, ATI 9700pro and Nvidia 8800gtx IMO:

Voodoo1: First proper 3d card that made gaming at 512x384 feasible, good range of game support (glide/d3d/miniGL).

9700pro: First dx9 card, outstanding performance, no idea why the 9800pro gets so much love considering it was nowhere near as revolutionary and game out a while later

8800GTX: First 'proper' dx10 card i.e. giving decent performance, very good allrounder due to 0.75GB VRAM, people who got one in late 2006 could get away with using it for a good 3 years

Honorable mentions to GTX280 (price fell very rapidly making it a snip at ~£240, again an excellent allrounder due to fast bus, 1GB VRAM etc, no weaknesses, it lasted me longer than any other gfx card) and Geforce DDR (seemed a bit pricey to me at the time but having DDR memory gave it a massive boost, would leave gf2mxs in its wake).

As for Secret Window's list, it's hard to take it seriously when it list ATI Rage series. The only semi-plausible card for gaming was the Rage Fury MAXX, a dual-gpu card which was still slower than Geforce.

Associate
9800 pro but daddy of all time....wait for it...

8800Gtx. this card not only blew the competition away, it buried it.

Just pure win. Yes it ran hot and loud but did not matter when it was eating games for fun.

A single card was better than some of the newer offerings from nvidia and ati and sli gave a lot of newer cards a run for their money. Simply outstanding.

/Thread closed

Back
Top Bottom