• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Standout cards over the years?

Soldato
The TI4200 and 8800GT stand out as great performance bargains for me.

9700Pro and 8800GTX must have had the best longevity of any graphics cards. Both could still play games at reasonable settings 3-4 years after release.

GTX480 is the most recent monster performance bargain. My last one cost £160 new. Not bad for what is the 2nd fastest singe-GPU card ever made.

Soldato
Voodoo
Voodoo 2
Riva TNT 2 ultra (fore-runner to the geforce)
Geforce
Geforce 2
Geforce 3 ti 200
9700pro
9800pro
x800xt
x1800
8800gts

Were all amazing cards of their time :) Had most over the years (still remember the joy of rogue squadron on my original voodoo).

Last edited:
Soldato
Orchid Righteous 3DFX or Diamond Monster - either of those cards (I had the Orchid with the lovely click click on switching to 3DFX mode) were, for me, pivotal in bringing a real difference to 3d gaming on a PC.
There has been some great cards after those but my O.R coupled with a Matrox Millennium (IIRC) will be remembered with amazement when I first saw what the 3DFX cards were capable of rendering.

Soldato
Orchid Righteous 3DFX or Diamond Monster - either of those cards (I had the Orchid with the lovely click click on switching to 3DFX mode) were, for me, pivotal in bringing a real difference to 3d gaming on a PC.
There has been some great cards after those but my O.R coupled with a Matrox Millennium (IIRC) will be remembered with amazement when I first saw what the 3DFX cards were capable of rendering.

Mine was the Orchid and the click-click is a fond memory too. Tis a shame they were only able to do things in 640x400 though with the glide renderer everything still looked AMAZING regardless :)
I got a Xonar soundcard at the moment and it has the same heavy duty relay switches clicking away on bootup ;)

Back
Top Bottom