Stanislav Petrov, AKA "the man who saved the world" dies at 77

Permabanned
Which part of the story is a lie?

That he saved the world. A human cannot save the world. That's ridiculous as humans are actually those who built the nuclear warheads. It's not fair.
Watch the movie:

Humans have no control over the nuclear warheads!

Caporegime
That he saved the world. A human cannot save the world. That's ridiculous as humans are actually those who built the nuclear warheads. It's not fair.
Watch the movie:

You ever heard about chemtrails? Dude, you are in for a treat!

Man of Honour
Watch the movie:

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight...

/Backs away quietly

Soldato
Terrifying but equally life affirming story, I read about this ages ago when some research for a creative writing class led me on an epic wiki surfing session (Game Theory - Zero Sum - MAD - Fail Deadly - Dead Hand - Cold War - Stanislav Petrov). I was amazed by the fact that one man effectively held the fate of humankind in the palm of his hand and, through great foresight, made the right decision. When you think about it how many people are so conditioned through training and reliance on technology to identify issues, how many other would just have blindly assumed that the malfunction was a first strike? It's a bit like the Milgram experiment but with nukes as the electric shock and an early warning computer as the guy in the white coat.

In other news I'm intrigued to hear more about how the Royal Family are space lizards and Amber Rudd is stealing my thoughts through my fillings.

Back
Top Bottom