Star Trek: Picard

Soldato
It amazing how many people get up set with "wokism" in star trek when you think of the times that start trek was made that it had so many people of different races and colours all on set and all being treated as equals, we all heard the story of MTK ringing Nichols up to thank her for play a strong equal black women on TV. and TNG was very PC for it day as well

Exactly, it was light years ahead of its time and not forced like current trek is where useless carachters only exist to tick a box and where the universe is only in the hands of a flawless Mary Sue, and where everyone is crying every two minutes. In classic Trek, people were just people and that was it.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Maybe because you were young and just accepted it for what it was, rather than looking at it through an adult lens.
Or maybe those were good stories, cast and directed well? I mean can you really compare TNG, DS9 and even Voyager to Discovery or Picard?

We watch them every 4-5 years. We start with TNG, then DS9 and finally Voyager. We may watch Enterprise after this time but we skipped it the last 2 times :)

Caporegime
Time hasn't been kind on some of them to be honest.

I was never in to Voyager, but I have re-watched TNG and DS9 and a lot of TNG seems really dated now.

As does DS9, sadly - Though it always had a darker/more mature edge so it holds up a bit better.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Time hasn't been kind on some of them to be honest.

I was never in to Voyager, but I have re-watched TNG and DS9 and a lot of TNG seems really dated now.

As does DS9, sadly - Though it always had a darker/more mature edge so it holds up a bit better.
Still miles better than the tripe we get served up now with Discory and Picard though. Each to their own though. We can't all agree but to me Discovery and Picard don't come anywhere close to TNG, DS9 and Voyager.

Soldato
The problem is that writers today only see a platform for lessons, instead of for telling a story. They really think that a gender or skin colour is a character trait. Was Sisko a great character because he was black? Was Janeway a great character because she was a woman? Characters like Rey or Burnham are so perfect (because in the victimhood pyramid, you can't have any faults and thus be interesting) and so are inhuman and unlikable, because they can't be connected with on a human level.

We connect with characters regardless, because of the human things that we understand of everyone, such as striving to overcome odds, trying to better yourself, figuring how to grow up, falling in love, looking after the people under your charge, etc. To reduce that to such a shallow level (such as "the character looks like me") simply provides a two dimensional box-tick, one that creates a more divisive world where no one can empathise with anyone who isn't exactly like them in appearance.

Diversity is not a replacement for story. Superficial looks is not a replacement for character.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Enterprise was a weird choice to name the ship considering the lineage of enterprise was established looooong before that series was ever dreamed up. Had some half decent episodes and tpol with her catsuit and rubber norks was easy on the eye but outside of that, meh.

If it had continued the storyline around the guy from the future in shadow was supposodly going to be Archer. Doesn't make a lot of sense from what I gathered from that characters interactions.

Caporegime
Personally, I couldn't get on with Enterprise first time round, but I decided to watch it properly recently and really enjoyed it.
Being able to skip that terrible theme song helped :D

Mmmmmman. That song was awesome.

I'm singing it in my head now :p

Enterprise was alright. I mean I can still remember the entire crew ensemble and I've not seen it for ten years.....

I can't say that for discovery or Picard.

I'm just gonna leave a video of it to infect everyone's ears

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Mmmmmman. That song was awesome.

I'm singing it in my head now :p

Enterprise was alright. I mean I can still remember the entire crew ensemble and I've not seen it for ten years.....

I can't say that for discovery or Picard.

I'm just gonna leave a video of it to infect everyone's ears
I like that song too, but I would have preferred they went the route of something orchestral like TNG, DS9 and VOY.

I just remembered the start of Enterprise with flashbacks of captain Archer as a kid. Can’t be scared of the wind son, or something like that. I remember thinking it was a bit cheesy :p

Soldato
I liked Enterprise, it was generally respectful of the canon. The Xindi War was difficult to reconcile but I gave it a pass as it was a pretty good arc. To be honest Enterprise probably suffered from some Star Trek fatigue at the time and there were some really stand out episodes the time travel episode where Archer loses his memory was brilliant for instance.

Picard was a disappointment, we'll see how Season 2 is but it's lost a lot of goodwill for me.

Back
Top Bottom