Star Trek : Strange New Worlds

JRS

JRS

Soldato
A warp bomb makes no sense. Warp is about moving and compressing space. It makes no sense that it could be adapted to be a bomb.

Yeah, what they actually describe is the aliens making a MARA - a matter-antimatter reactor assembly, otherwise known as a warp core. Which is 'just' the bit that produces the huge power levels needed to make the coils in the nacelles do their thing.

There's a Trek novel called "Federation" by Judy and Gar Reeves-Stevens that details what an actual weapon derived from warp propulsion would do, the upshot being that a few grams of antimatter would make for a more effective boom. It's a really good story, though it's been rendered absolutely irreconcilable with canon at this point (it was written before "ST: First Contact" was released).

Soldato
I do agree about the bridge lighting being OTT mainly due to floor reflections iirc. It’s just too much to take in when you look at the bridge - reflection overload.

Going to give it a rewatch tonight because I truly loved the episode.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Where did you guys watch this please?

At home.

;)

In all seriousness, I didn't use entirely legal methods to watch it.

I do agree about the bridge lighting being OTT mainly due to floor reflections iirc. It’s just too much to take in when you look at the bridge - reflection overload.

Going to give it a rewatch tonight because I truly loved the episode.

I'm probably going to watch it again. Might even do a snarky commentary of said watch-through if it doesn't feel like work. But Lord does that bridge set suck.

Associate
Reminded me more if The Orville went back a generation, this is what it would be. Characters and roles are very similar between the main characters so far.
I can see where your coming from, not sure whether that's good or bad. Sad fact is The Orvilles a lot closer to being real trek than anything else in recent years.

I'm going to reserve judgement until I've seen a few more episodes.

On the whole I didn't hate it, but there's plently to nitpick at.

Drummer lite is bugging me, just feels a little too blatant.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Drummer lite is bugging me, just feels a little too blatant.
Lol. As soon as the actress appeared I was like, is that drummer? Then on close inspection I was disappointed. Though I did not find her annoying, just disappointed.

Overall it was better than I was expecting. The captain is just so fitting. Best Trek since Voyager for me. Though we will see if it beats Enterprise. It is miles better than the tripe that is Discovery and Picard. I have still only watched a few episodes of S2 Picard. It’s been that bad.

Getting back to this show. The negatives are some miscasting. I like the captain, Spock, number 1, the lady at sickbay and even drummer light. The rest just seem a bit weak or out of place there unfortunately. Also you need to turn your brain off a little, as again as mentioned them reverse engineering something they saw in the sky makes no sense.

Apart from that I am happy. Nice intro too, finally something fitting again after the rubbish intros of Picard and STD.

Soldato
At home.

;)

In all seriousness, I didn't use entirely legal methods to watch it.

I'm probably going to watch it again. Might even do a snarky commentary of said watch-through if it doesn't feel like work. But Lord does that bridge set suck.
It's even worse on second watch through as the ready room is quite shiney and reflective too :o It is a lot better on the second watch. I was too busy looking at Chapel to realise how well she interacted with the doc.

Caporegime
Oh good, it wasn't just me who thought budget Drummer then :p.

Edit - oh that was the 'Kirk'. I thought it was a family member :cry:

Last edited:
Caporegime
Watched it last night and for the most part I enjoyed it, but I did not enjoy the fact the first planet they land on went full "ethnicity", I mean white and black Aliens? Really?! What's next the planet, Christians, jews and muslims?

Lots of people on the trek forums complaining about the Feminism element to the series, but that didn't bother me, aslong as they don't start crying all the time "Discovery"

The young Captain Kirk looked ridiculous, was he supposed to be a dirty Sanches with a dodgy Moustache?

Caporegime
Its almost there.... Pike is good.
It feels almost like star trek why are the ship interiors so big? like ludicrously wasting space.
Definitely the best of the 3 attempts so far...
Time will tell, it already looks like its going action mode though.... shame.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
why are the ship interiors so big? like ludicrously wasting space.

Because the showrunners think that bigger=cooler. Hence the Enterprise growing from 289m long in TOS to about 400m here and still looking like the interiors couldn't fit a ship twice that size.

See also the ludicrous USS Discoball interior shots that wouldn't even fit inside a Borg cube...

Man of Honour
Watched it last night and for the most part I enjoyed it, but I did not enjoy the fact the first planet they land on went full "ethnicity", I mean white and black Aliens? Really?! What's next the planet, Christians, jews and muslims?

Lots of people on the trek forums complaining about the Feminism element to the series, but that didn't bother me, aslong as they don't start crying all the time "Discovery"

The young Captain Kirk looked ridiculous, was he supposed to be a dirty Sanches with a dodgy Moustache?

Are people complaining about feminism with justification or just moaning that there are several females , despite many of them being correct to Pikes Enterprise from TOS?

Back
Top Bottom