Star Trek : Strange New Worlds

Soldato
The only crew member i care to care about so far is pike so far, rest are forgettable so far even the meh spock. Hope we get some crew that have a bigger presence to be on the ship soon.

Soldato
Spock is great!

Nurse Chapell has some great energy, maybe we'll see her on the away missions instead of the Dr - not a fan of the Dr, so mixing it with Chapell accompanying the team would be good. Lt Kirk is an idiot and looks and acts more like a red neck. No1 was very good when in Discovery and Short Treks, she just hasn't had much to do yet.

Soldato
I've not watched any yet, nor the second season of Picard, I don't think any of the new Trek's other than Below Decks has actually appealed to me enough to watch them as and when they air, but what I'll end up doing is downloading them to my iPad when I'm away with work and watch them on the plane or in the hotel when there's nothing going on..

Soldato
I've not watched any yet, nor the second season of Picard, I don't think any of the new Trek's other than Below Decks has actually appealed to me enough to watch them as and when they air, but what I'll end up doing is downloading them to my iPad when I'm away with work and watch them on the plane or in the hotel when there's nothing going on..

But, but, but.................!!!

The music score, the space scenes, they are beautiful - why would you watch these on an iPad?!

I save these type of shows for my large tv and surround sound kit - the shows would be wasted on an iPad (well maybe not Picard!)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I have watched around 6 episodes of Picard so far. It is taking me time as I am forcing myself to watch it after my partner gave (rightly so). That’s why I am staying out of the Picard thread until I watch it all :cry:

Lucky for me, me and my missus watch all the same stuff, well almost. Picard is so rubbish compared to TNG she refuses to watch it :p

Soldato
But, but, but.................!!!

The music score, the space scenes, they are beautiful - why would you watch these on an iPad?!

I save these type of shows for my large tv and surround sound kit - the shows would be wasted on an iPad (well maybe not Picard!)

Picard is even 4K and no Atmos, ew :eek:

Permabanned
It's not awful so far, lets hope they don't manage to mess this up....

Pike and Spock are great, not sure about the lady playing Uhura yet. She's not pulling off the part imo. And not sure I appreciated the dark back story, which is now canon...

Ship combat is the second episode was a bit weird, they described the aliens ship as too advanced for them, but when Enterprise fired at them, they appeared to have no shields and did a crap load of damage... Slightly confusing. What was happening on screen didn't really match what was being said on the bridge.

Some of the dialog feels out of place, or inappropriate. Similar to Discovery, but maybe not as bad.

Soldato
People seem to forget that this is Uhura when she was still just a cadet so she is not going to be the same person we know her as. She is still finding her feet in Starfleet.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
People seem to forget that this is Uhura when she was still just a cadet so she is not going to be the same person we know her as. She is still finding her feet in Starfleet.

True enough. But she could be slightly closer in look to Nichelle Nichols, eh? And be halfway believable as a pre-cursor to Nichelle's Uhura, eh?

And, lest we forget, Trek already showed an Uhura at this point in her life with the Zoe Saldana version in JJTrek. Unless we're now claiming that the destruction of the USS Kelvin, well out in deep space, 2+ decades previously changed her upbringing quite so much...

I dunno. I reckon it would probably have been easier to just...not have Uhura in this show?

JRS

JRS

Soldato
1x03 - Ghosts of Illyria

The USS Enterprise encounters a contagion that ravages the ship. One by one, the entire crew is incapacitated except for Number One, Una Chin-Riley, who must now confront a secret she’s been hiding as she races to find a cure.

Okay. Plot does sound a bit derivative of previous episodes in Trek canon. See TOS' "The Naked Time" and "The Deadly Years", TNG's "The Naked Now", DS9's "Babel" for the 'contagion affects the crew' deal, countless other episodes for 'crewmember confronts secret from their past'. But, let's dive in...

The Good

Anson Mount, and his interplay with...well, pick any other cast member. This time out it was Ethan Peck's Spock. And I loved the resolution to their side of the story down on the planet.
VFX team earned their corn once again this week.
Putting this here for lack of a better spot - Hemmer channelling TNG-era engineers with the whole 'level 5 diagnostic' bit amused me.
Some of the dialogue is genuinely great.

The Bad

I miss the old days where you'd have Scotty, hands-on in the Jeffries Tube, jury-rigging the transporter to work in impossible conditions and Spock sternly telling him to try different things over the intercom. Much more satisfying than just some guys pressing buttons on consoles.
Still hate the overall aesthetic. I don't even like the uniforms.
They missed a golden chance to channel TOS when Pike asked Spock about the odds of a door holding. TOS Spock would have given the odds then suggested the way to improve them rather than leap straight to the suggestion. A shame.
Even by Trek standards, the 'science' behind the cure is pretty janky.
M'Benga's firm grasp of the Idiot Ball with the medical transporter. At least we now know why McCoy got his job later.
Some of the dialogue is rather clunky.

The Kurtzman

La'an Noonien-Singh :rolleyes:
The full-on Idiot Plot with M'Benga's daughter in the medical transporter.
Some of the dialogue is very...Kurtzman.

Back
Top Bottom