Star Wars VIII : The Last Jedi [WARNING: SPOILERS]

Man of Honour
man everyone hates L3

in a galaxy of subservient robots there isn't room for even one social robot warrior :D

It felt forced and really drew me out of the context of what was going on :( although it had some utility towards the end of the mines bit it could have been done without being so annoying.

Soldato
I think TLJ was one of the better SW films.

I've not been paid by anyone to say that....I just don't put the original films on an undeserved cinematic pedestal. They are all trashy, poorly-acted cheesy as hell popcorn films, and *every* film is so littered with logical holes you could drive a star destroyer through them...blindfolded.

I'll go going to watch the next one, love a bit of cheesy sci-fi trash :) Might watch Solo when it's cheap to stream somewhere.

Man of Honour
and *every* film is so littered with logical holes you could drive a star destroyer through them...blindfolded.

True but the earlier ones atleast manage to make it seem maybe kinda possibly plausible if you don't think about it too hard - with TLJ they don't even bother making anything seem remotely plausible, it is completely in your face, and it completely ruins it for most people.

End of the day whether TLJ was good or bad, whether it was setting up some greater goal (unlikely) or just pure trash (more likely) it lost most of its audience - I think once you watch Solo you might appreciate that aspect a bit more - atleast it reinforced it for me.

Soldato
Watched TLJ again at home for the first time since seeing it at the Cinema on release... It was just okay overall, but with some extremely poorly executed parts (that have been discussed to death already) Interestingly though and I'm not sure if it's been posted in this thread or not but I read a rumour about Rian Johnson's *original* script (i.e. before he was forced to change it all by Kathleen Kennedy) and it sounded really good - the jist of it was:

* Luke fights Kylo pretty early on in the movie and gets killed by him...
* He captures Rey and takes her to Snoke
* Snoke senses how much more powerful she is, and tells her he knows who her parents are etc. and he can re-unite them if she joins him, she accepts
* He orders her to kill Kylo and they fight, but Kylo manages to get away
* Kylo goes to Ach To where he is confronted by the Force Ghosts of Luke & Yoda
* They grudgingly help him prepare to return to face Snoke and save Rey

I've no idea if this is true or just a fan theory but I think it sounds alright...

Soldato
Yeah none of that is true, its been well established by different sources including the actors themselves that Rian Johnson pretty much came in and did his own thing and Kathleen Kennedy allowed it all because "he made her feel comfortable."

I think what's likely happened here is that Kennedy had a shortlist of potential new and upcoming directors (of which she's had major problems with most of them so far) and contacted Johnson about penning an Episode VIII script. She liked Johnson because he spoke her feminist, political and SJW language... and Rian, seeing this as the biggest chance of his career, played her instead of adhering to story relevance and Star Wars mythology. So basically he wrote a script for her and allowed her influence in the script (Mary Poppins in space etc) so that he could get the job.

In Kathleen's SJW and feminist circles she'll have felt a growing amount of pressure to DO something as a woman of power in the industry and so in her judgement she gave Rian Johnson's pro-women script complete and unrestricted freedom whereas with all probability, if this had been Disney's first Star Wars movie or Force Awakens/Rogue One had struggled, episode 8 would have been massively different after the lore guys at Lucasfilm sieved it carefully.

Soldato
Honestly? after the TLJ they are still going to give him 3 more films? Picard.jpg(again)

Let me help you out with that one lol

v0pTs8.jpg

v0pTs8.jpg

Soldato
This is the teaser trailer from Ivan Ortega who is "fixing" The Last Jedi - This looks extremely good and his full film version is released for free tomorrow on his YT channel.

Soldato
nope, don't agree with that.

Flying fighters down a canyon covered in turrets to shoot torpedo things (that can bloody STEER themselves anyway) at completely exposed port that leads directly to the explodey bit of the station?

After Han has told us explicitly that you can collide with things at light speed, why not just fire a light speed missile at it?

Honest to god you cannot pretend that any Star Wars film stand up to even the slightest logical scrutiny. They're all complete nonsense. Entertaining pew pew nonsense.

Man of Honour
After Han has told us explicitly that you can collide with things at light speed, why not just fire a light speed missile at it?

As you don't even need a missile to destroy things with an object at light speed (for instance https://youtu.be/bAhtno_AwLc?t=175 ) I'm going to assume that given how "easy" it would be in that universe to destroy things from stand off via that mechanic that counter measures are used against such a thing :s

Why even build a hugely complex and expensive death star if you could just accelerate a spaceship mass into a planet and wipe it out? so assumedly the more built up planets would have some kind of protection from that necessitating an advanced weapon. I'd assume this technology would also be on larger ships (and installations) and would also prevent you accelerating a ship through them... though given the Empire was known to cheap out (tie-fighters had no hyperdrive, no life support - necessitating the pilot to be suited, etc.) maybe they didn't bother equipping their star destroyers with such functionality...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom