Starting weight lifting again - help please :)

S7yl3s said:
I think this is a great routine and as a beginner you will notice a huge huge gain in the first year.
i would have to disagree - yes it looks like a good routine for an experienced BB who already has a good core, but for a complete beginner who has never been to the gym in his life i think if they did that routine from the go overtraining would be an understatement :p

How long does it take you S7yl3s? There's 3-4 exercises for each body part, I think this would be overkill for me. I'll try the one that I posted for now, but changet the rep's from 5x5 to 4x6 (core movements) and 3x8/10.

A2Z said:
i would have to disagree - yes it looks like a good routine for an experienced BB who already has a good core, but for a complete beginner who has never been to the gym in his life i think if they did that routine from the go overtraining would be an understatement :p

Fair play. I understand exactly where you're coming from.

I assumed that this chap had trained before I'm sure I read it somewhere. Developing a good basis from which to springboard onto bigger and better things is obviously very important.

$loth said:
How long does it take you S7yl3s? There's 3-4 exercises for each body part, I think this would be overkill for me. I'll try the one that I posted for now, but changet the rep's from 5x5 to 4x6 (core movements) and 3x8/10.

I train 5 days a week.

Back
Biceps & Triceps
Chest
Shoulders
Legs

Doesn't take long at all for me. Each workout takes about 45 mins. Except Shoulders takes 25 mins and Legs take 1 hour.

TRAIN HARD DON'T TRAIN LONG.

S7yl3s said:
I train 5 days a week.

Back
Biceps & Triceps
Chest
Shoulders
Legs

Doesn't take long at all for me. Each workout takes about 45 mins. Except Shoulders takes 25 mins and Legs take 1 hour.

That will teach me not to assume, I assumed you were doing 3 days a week...

I wouldn't be able to train 5 days a week, a 3 day split is the type that I want, and to spend an hour in the gym max, maybe 15 mins more.

TRAIN HARD DON'T TRAIN LONG.

That sounds like my kind of thing :cool:

$loth said:
That will teach me not to assume, I assumed you were doing 3 days a week...

I wouldn't be able to train 5 days a week, a 3 day split is the type that I want, and to spend an hour in the gym max, maybe 15 mins more.

Sounds good. All in all it depends exactly what you're going for. 1 hour should be enough to develop your physique and get a nice shape. Just remember to always keep it intense don't be sitting around doing nothing.

Also, with regards to calves and abs, these will be done in the evening of one of the days 2-3 times a week. I like to train at 7am :)

S7yl3s said:
Good stuff, I look forward to reading it.

Here are some current stats:

Arms: 12"
Legs: 20"
Chest: 37"

Height: 5'8"
Weight: 147lbs.

I'm unsure about how big I would like to get, but to add on a couple of inchs onto my arms, and a few inchs onto my legs and chest would be great by the end of winter, so that I could do some cutting up.

$loth said:
Here are some current stats:

Arms: 12"
Legs: 20"
Chest: 37"

Height: 5'8"
Weight: 147lbs.

I'm unsure about how big I would like to get, but to add on a couple of inchs onto my arms, and a few inchs onto my legs and chest would be great by the end of winter, so that I could do some cutting up.

Good stuff. Remember to keep your goals realistic. 2 inches is A LOT of size to just gain. Just work hard and keep to everything you say you're going to do and then asses yourself come Christmas and go from there.

Just work hard. With your routine you won't turn into some kind of mass monster you will just look better with a little more muscle to play around with. Just remember your diet is 80% of your results :) (I say that a lot)

isnt it something like to gain 1" on your arms you need to put on 10lb lean muscle mass (over all body of course), im sure i read something like that.

if that is true, then 20lb lean mass is not going to be possible by xmas

It's a target :o And winter isn't up until march ;)

First time back in the weights room today and I say it went well. I'm unsure about how much more I could deadlift, it was around 80kg, which I did for 4x6, I think I could up that more next week. Row was 20kg for first 2 sets, 22.5kg for the last, which is what I was at last time. Though more importantly i'm feeling it a lot more, my back was feeling it in a good way when I came out of the gym. Ontop, i'm feeling more enthused to get it right, my form, and even more to reach this goal!

Last edited:
$loth said:
It's a target :o And winter isn't up until march ;)

First time back in the weights room today and I say it went well. I'm unsure about how much more I could deadlift, it was around 80kg, which I did for 4x6, I think I could up that more next week. Row was 20kg for first 2 sets, 22.5kg for the last, which is what I was at last time. Though more importantly i'm feeling it a lot more, my back was feeling it in a good way when I came out of the gym. Ontop, i'm feeling more enthused to get it right, my form, and even more to reach this goal!

That's excellent that you've got the mentality right for it. But remember, the people who gain are the people who stick with it and don't get bored of it overnight. Realistically you want to give yourself a target for 1 years time. If you do it right you will gain like a mad man in the first year. But the targets you've set for now are impossible so if you make them more realistic you won't feel bad when you miss them. They can be your long term goals for sure. :)

Want to end up with heart problems when you're older? Keep weightlifting, it puts a fantastic strain on your pump.

There are much better ways to build strength and stamina without ever having to touch weights.

Deadly Ferret said:
Want to end up with heart problems when you're older? Keep weightlifting, it puts a fantastic strain on your pump.

There are much better ways to build strength and stamina without ever having to touch weights.

It tends to be the diet but you're nearly right.

if it's gain you want, try and limit your set to maximum of 9 sets per muscle group or session..

Some of you are over training .. great for overall fitness, strengh and endurance but not for bulking. Be sure of your objective and keep sight of that.

Admiral Huddy said:
if it's gain you want, try and limit your set to maximum of 9 sets per muscle group or session..

Some of you are over training .. great for overall fitness, strength and endurance but not for bulking. Be sure of your objective and keep sight of that.

Interesting. But I will have to disagree. The general principle is acceptable but it really doesn't work like that. Everyone is different and it's a fact that everyone will respond differently to different amounts of volume.

Many Bodybuilders will hit around 20 sets per bodypart, and I'm not just talking about the HUGE guys I'm talking about smaller guys who's bodies respond to this. For my chest, even with the limited equipment I have at the moment, I will do 12-15 sets. This is the same with many other body parts.

At the end of the day it all comes down to what works best for you. There is no set formula for bodybuilding it's a personal journey and everyone will respond differently.

Deadly Ferret said:

:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom